Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Capacitor for Bartolini 8s pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi! I’ve decided to put some Bartolini 8s pickups onto my p-bass, and when I do, I’m also going to totally replace all the electronics. I’ve got no probs with the pickups cos I’m getting the 8s's, I’m ok with the pots cos I’m getting some 250k ones, and the wire is ok cos, well...it’s just wire! But I guess I’m going to use some kind of cloth covered wire with braided shield, unless anyone has any better recommendations?

My problem comes in choosing the correct capacitor, because I really have no idea which grade to use. So many to choose from! And I don’t know what the difference is!: 001, 005, 01, 02, 033, 047, 1??? Anybody know which one I should use?

Any help would be perfect! Thanks!

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    the rule of thumb (from the Stew-Mac site)...

I'm sure someoine who has a Bart 8S will chime in :)

I've got a DiMarzio DP127 ("Split P") in a fretless. IIRC, I used a 250K Audio
    Taper for the volume and a 500K Linear Taper w/.05µf cap for the tone

(`course later, I replaced the volume with an on/off switch :rollno: :p )

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i got 0.47 capacitor with my bart 8s, but i think 0.47 is kinda standard, but with that value you'll get a good tone control. at least im happy with it :)

4. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    Ah ok cool that all make sense now! cheers yall!