1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capo on a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wave rider, Oct 1, 2008.

1. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Saw The Virgins on Letterman last night, noticed the bass player using a capo.

Is this a common use? I don't remember seeing one on a bass before.

=wr=

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It's an easy way to change scale length.

3. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    SO you can play higher note open strings. I think Peter Hooke (New Order) did that alot. Just another tool to use if it fits your style.

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Does that mean you can tune the bass lower and then capo up when EADG tuning is needed?

=wr=

5. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    saw this too, their band and bass player really annoyed me!

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Yes, but your strings will have less tension.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I use one on one song. It has some "noodling" over a C drone, the capo holds the C.

8. Back before I started using a 5 string, I used to tune down to drop D. I would use a capo on my bass so that I could hit open strings on certain songs. It kinda got to be a hassle so I finally went out and bought a 5'er; made life easier.;)

9. I use a capo at the first fret for a few songs with my band. It makes it easier to play those songs in the particular keys we do them in.

10. Sometimes bassists use it when they play a lot of open notes in the key of F or B flat. That way they can just hit the open note instead of fretting it. Sometimes it's a beginner's trick and sometimes it's used to make it easier. It's cheating IMO, but who cares what I think?:D

11. +1

sorry, I gotta agree with you on that lol. Capos are for gui****s, we need no capos :)

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    We do a song at church that is quite unnecessarily riff-laden, and were we to play it in the key it's in on the cd, I'd have no problem with it, other than I think it's a ridiculous song. But, they changed it up half a step to Bb to make the keyboardist happy, so I use a capo on the 1st fret, because it isn't worth it to me to learn my part one way for practice and another way for performance. I also use a pick, because the song isn't worth my fingers.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, I use a capo on my bass all the time. Why not, that's what it's for, right?

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bass Capo:

That's why I learn to play most things in alternate fingerings, including closed positions.

I guess if it makes life better for you, enjoy it.

15. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Dude. Harsh.:scowl: I didn't think that there was any worship song THAT bad.

As for the capo, I was talking to this dude at Sam Ash last night who said he uses it because his guitarist likes dropped C.

16. Never used one. Only thought about it once when I was in a metal band that played in dropped C. Since I no longer play metal, not an issue.

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sure there is. But thanks for judging me anyway!

18. FoldingInBass

FoldingInBass

Aug 5, 2008
    This quote makes you my new friend. LMFAO.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Heh, it would tear them up if I tried it finger style. I don't really hate the song; just wish I could play a bass line on it, rather than double the guitar line. But that is what the leader wants, so that's what he gets. So, if one is doubling a guitar riff, then it seems perfectly logical to act like a guitarist doing it. The Capo and pick are guitarist tools.....

kb9wyz, don't take my 'judging' comment seriously; as a christian I always get to hear that, but rarely ever get to say it. :D

20. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sometimes I use a capo on my bass when I'm sitting around the campfire playing my ABG on unfamiliar material with songwriter/players who capo all over the place. That way I can watch their hands and not have to transpose on the fly.