Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carbon fibre double basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by carbon fibre, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Being the happy owner of a French 4/4 COSI carbon fibre DB, and having googled around a quite a bit with little result, I want to open this thread as a way of sharing experience and news about carbon fibre basses.

I have owned mine for 1½ years and found it exellent for touring (Japan, Greenland, Shetland Islands to name some of the more exotic and demanding environments) because of its ability to give a damn about temperature and humidity changes. Pretty shock resistant too!

I find the sound deep, strong and pleasing, but before I go into further details I would like to get some feedback to know whether any of you out there share my interest.

I will be happy to get information not only about Cosi, but about all carbon fibre bass makes. (Are there that many?)

In the meantime don't hesitate to visit my home page. It's less than 24 hours old, and I'm still working on it.

Thanks!

P.S. I just signed up on TalkBass today, and I understand that it's a tradition to finish with a quote, so here's one of my favorites.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win".
    Gandhi

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Haven't tried it personally, but I like the looks of the Bassix Hi-Tech Headed bass from the UK.

http://www.bassix.net/range.php
    (4th item listed, below the PJB Brief Case Combo Amplifier)

Has a composite half-body for authentic feel (vs. a "tummy pad") which also serves as the case. Two piezo pups into an onboard eq. All pieces were listed as "composite" in an EUB roundup in double bassist magazine.

I'm a traditionalist in search of portable options who can't stomach the sight of stick basses. If anyone gets a chance to try one, please post some feedback or pm me.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well that would mean you're in EUB territory - another part of the forum?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Somebody brought a fibre bass by one of my gigs in about 94 I think. I thought it was a COSI, but I don't really remember. I had exactly the opposite reaction; the sound was thin and nasal with not a lot of projection.

The only other basses I've heard of are from QUINTUS, they run about $6K. I have neither played nor heard one.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Is that amplified...or unamped..?

7. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I am interested in the discussion. I have owned a Modulus Graphite EB for 8 years and am very happy with the instrument.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think there's a huge difference between a bass guitar that is primarily designed to be played through amplification and an instrument that is designed to be played primarily acoustically!

9. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Hi Carbon

I posted a similar thread a month or 2 ago. See my thread at http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205109 . The responses appeared to be slightly negative on the COSI, and slightly postive on the Quintus. I have a carbon fiber guitar which I am happy as "a pig in sh*t" with. If they can make a guitar that sounds as good as this one does, I am sure that they can make a double bass as well.

I played in Greenland for a year back in 1957 & 1958. Courtesy of the USAF, I was stationed at Thule as a meteorologist. Relative humidity there regularly went to 0 %. I was playing a brand new Kay with gut strings. It was an absolute piece of crap, and was poorly set up. It did, however stand up very well to an absolutely horrible environment.:D

10. Unamped - that's what I like about it. Sorry there's so much water between us, or you could try mine. I'll be touring Bath and Poole next year in May or June with it.

Another possibility is MusikMesse Frankfurt from March 29 to April 1 2006 where Lagarde will display his products.

In the meantime check out this crazy Frenchman.

Then maybe sound projection becomes a somewhat secondary thing.

More fun

11. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not sure that necessarily makes sense...?

So, there are lots of amplified acoustic guitars that sound very good - but I've never heard an acoustic bass guitar that was any good...:meh:

DB needs to project a lot more sound than guitar as well...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for the offer, but I don't really feel any need for this kind of thing, as I live in a very temperate climate - no problems for any instruments!! ;)

And if it ever was a problem, I have an EUB that is extremely tough and has graphite reinforcement!! :)

No mountains in the SE of England though!!

13. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    i played twice on Cosi urb and never liked the sound which seemed , as said, a bit nasal and very different from a wood made instrument...my two cents...

14. Bruce Lindfield

15. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    Carbon Fiber

Don't be put off by some of the negative sounding replies to your thread. Most of the folks on this forum tend to be traditionalists. (There is no other material than wood). I tend to be one myself. Most of them have probably heard some of the awful aluminum and fibreglass basses, but very few have heard the carbon fibre ones (including me).
    Bruce - My guitar is an amplified accoustic, but I am talking about acoustic sound here, not amplified. I agree with you that I have never seen an accoustic bass guitar that was worth a sh*t. I have been playing both guitar and double bass, probably longer than you have been alive, and I thoroughly understand that a DB needs to project more than a guitar. If you make a DB plate out carbon fiber it WILL project more than a guitar plate.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh, I dunno. I don't really care about what it looks like or what it's made out of as long as it SOUNDS like what I hear in my head. I'm sure I would have rather played a CF bass than either plywood bass I was subjected to down in FL...

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was born in the 50s so it's just about possible....;)

But I was just saying that, in the sentence I quoted :

"If they can make a guitar that sounds as good as this one does, I am sure that they can make a double bass as well."

..the conclusion doesn't necessarily follow from its premise !!

18. Bruce Lindfield

And I've been playing 5-string electric upright with carbon fibre bridge and nut etc. for the last 3 years - hardly a traditionalist's instrument!! ;)

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    When I went to the Ernie Ball [slab'n'string makers] factory 98 open house they had one of the management's Jazz group playing in the lobby, he was playing a Carbon fibber bass [I can’t remember who made it] and it sounded pretty good and had a lot of definition [maybe too much] but a bit dry sounding to me.

20. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I've never played a CF bass and I feel set for life with my current instrument. But I am curious to see what comes out over the next few years. Luis and Clark are in the process of making a CF bass, apparently ready in 2006. Their cellos have been received well.