1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carl Thompson Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Szymanski862, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    I have recently decided against the wal or warrior and chose to have a carl thompson bass built for me. At least thats what i'm trying to do. Does anybody have any idea how to get ahold of somebody that could help me. The website has no contacts or phone number and i really don't understand how to talk to somebody about purchasing one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    You have a couple years wait time for a build.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Be prepared to wait for a while.

4. Might want to get a Wal or Warrior while you're waiting.

5. Call it my need to know but why the Carl Thompson? I'd love to hear your rationale. Not to throw a wrench in the works but I looooooooove my Skjold and have owned many high end basses.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes i am aware the waiting list is around two years and thats fine with me i know tis going to take a long time going into it. I did see the e-mail link to aaron but when i click it nothing seems to come up and since its only a link i cant get the address to e-mail him at.

8. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    @ Benthughes, I could understand why ppl would think its an odd choice when your working with a high budget like that but i really think its the best bass i could purchase. I love the very woody unique tone to them. They seem to be very lightweight and balance well. I have been playing a stingray and a warwick for years and i am tired of my shoulder and arm killing me after. I want something that has a killer, versatile sound thats also lightweight and plays good. And most of all they have tons of options you can change anything from the scale length to the woods to the appearance ect. However i will say i have never heard of Skjold and would be interested to look at it now that you say that.

9. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    Thank you munjibunga. that should be what i'm looking for. There was a link on the site that said to click it to e-mail him but the link wouldn't work. If his e-mail is aaron@ctbasses.com that is what i need. Thank you

10. I totally hear you. I wouldn't really consider a custom bass to be necessarily versatile but more a bass suited to your likes and wants in a bass and doing that very well. I've heard that Carl will take orders and kind of go his own way with them which I've also heard with Warrior basses although I think CT would be better built. I'd love to see the progress of your build if you go that way.

That being said, I'd give my brother's right nut for a Wal.

11. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    Man i honestly love the sound of the wal basses but my god they are so heavy and bulky i dont care what anybody says. There are way better playing instruments out there. That may not be a big factor for some ppl but im a really tall thin guy and the heavier basses just start to make me sore after long gigs and what not. I am almost set on getting a carl thompson i just gotta make sure i can handle that 2-3 year wait till i would get it haha

12. I like the look of Claypool's Carl Thompson.

13. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    It isn't just the wait. Two years might be the minimum. Prepare to wait a bit more and not get what you asked for. Do a search. There have been long waits. 3 sometimes four years. And the bass arrives nithing like what was discussed. Only what CT felt like building at the time.

I honestly feel you are trying to jump the gun with three threads without playing each one if them. Shoulder issues? It might take a Carvin Brian Bromberg to resolve those issues or a comfort strap. Or even better positioning, stretching, etc.

14. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    Im not a huge fan of the way is main 4 string looks. Its cool and all but its so "clayppol" if you know what i mean lol. I want something a little different looking just cuz i know half the ppl that see me play it are going to immediately think im trying to copy les claypool.

15. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    That kinda sucks of ppl are really paying him that much and its coming back nothing like they wanted it. It's not like i have injuries or anything its just that after playing my warwick all night everything just feels so sore when i play.

16. What artists do you like? What kind of tone are you after? If you are set on a CT bass, cool! maybe TB can guide you toward an instrument and save you $2K-4K in the process. There is tons of information to be had here and gobs of experience.

17. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    buy a Tom clement while you wait! light. full custom. under 2k probably. try it. you'll like it!

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1 To what Ben and others have echoed. There are so many other great luthiers out there that are tried, proven and extremely predictable.
    Not trying to talk you out of your dream bass just hoping that it doesn't turn into a long nightmare ....... :)

19. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    Look into Pete Hilton, he is one of Carl's main builders, has a similar style, will give you more choices upfront and the waiting time is 4-6 months.