Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carles Benavent and Chick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KJung, Sep 25, 2005.

1. I just purchased a ticket to see Chick and Carles at the Detroit Symphony Hall on October 11th. I saw Carles with Paco De Lucia in St. Louis a number of years ago, and it was stunning. Also, Carles is playing a newly designed semi-acoustic bass designed and built by Jerzy Drozd. Since I am a recent purchaser of one of Jerzy's wonderful basses, it will be doubly cool!

Edit: New CD is available on Chick's site.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very nice!

I saw Paco two February's ago with a very young cat that also had a Drozd tuned E-C, I was hoping that Carles was going to be on that gig... I really can't wait to see/hear the Touchstone band.

Let us know about it.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Heard Chick and the Touchstone band in London last year - some wonderful music, very reminiscent of the first two Return to Forever albums ('Return to Forever' and 'Light as a Feather').

There is a new 2CD set of this band - at the moment, I think's it only available through www.chickcorea.com but it should get a general release soon.

Here's a vid of Carles playing his Jerzy Drozd bass:
    http://bassbuilders.free.fr/04mmvideos/carles_benavent.wmv
    (Video filmed and hosted by JP - thanks JP!)

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    That tune is called 'Bluestorius' and incorporates a couple of very Jaco-sounding melodies.

Carles' playing in that clip is very similar to a wonderful British bassist called Colin Hodgkinson - I try to give him props whenever I can. He was doing chord-melody stuff with a plectrum + fingers back in '69! Not sure how well known he is in the States. Fans of Carles should check him out.

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

yeah it came across like a mix between Manring's take on Sugar and Jaco tune... again, very nice... I'm going to try and shed the changes. Is there a commercially available studio version?

I'll check out Colin's stuff.

Anybody own or heard Phenix?

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There's also going to be another album with Carles and some UNBELIEVABLE drummers and percussionists, on another Chick album. I won't tell you anything more than that, but Carles plays his ass off -- you will love it.

8. I love his playing, he played in san juan a couple of times with paco de Lucia... what an amazing player!!! Very original fretless playing...

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He also plays fretless?

10. tc99

tc99

Mar 25, 2005
    Long Island
  11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Go on, you know you want to tell us more! ;) Is this in addition to the 2CD 'Rhumba Flamenco' set?

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Also, there's a very good DVD featuring Carles available through Flamenco World - worth ordering:

https://www.flamenco-world.com/tien...80770a9cb58&op_shop=show&id_prod=3549&id_cat=

Re: the fretless question. Carles did play fretless bass for many years, including for many years a 5-string fretless based on a Gibson EB2, built by another Barcelona luthier, Francesc Jordan: http://www.fjordan.net/bajo_benavent.htm . Carles took this bass to Jerzy Drozd to have mandolin frets installed - they started to collaborate on a new design and the result is the 'Barcelona' model. I first emailed Jerzy about it last summer and am putting my deposit down for one after Christmas.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very cool, David.

Are you going to go with the same string spacing as Carles does on his Barc model?

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes. It's 15mm at the bridge (IIRC - will dig out an email from Jerzy later). When I first spoke to Jerzy to last year, the production model was going to be 32" scale - it is now 34" (which I would have requested anyway).

I am not ordering the bass to copy Carles, although I do like his playing. My main bass influences are Steve Swallow and Colin Hodgkinson and the Barcelona bass should work well for the direction I want my playing to go in.

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Very Cool, I see... wonderful influences to inspire this music direction.

are you planning on playing with a regular pick or DdP-style with the thumb pick?

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    J-raj,

I've been working on various plectrum techniques for the last two years or so. When Carles and Colin play chords they pluck plectrum+2+3+4. One nice thing about using a thumbpick is that you can grip it with your index finger to get a traditional plectrum grip (for single note lines), but you can let go to play chords with plectrum+1+2+3, which feels better to me.

I've really tried to cop the whole DdP playing style in recent months, and I've made some progress, but it just isn't me. I've come to realise that there's no point consciously forcing your style to change just because you like a particular musician.

PS. For a few clips of Colin Hodgkinson's solo bass style, go here: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/AS...8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/028-3712078-7409333

17. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  18. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Fantastic! He and Paco must have made a good match!
    Should prove interesting in Chick's band...

Does he also play with a pick in a band setting? or is it just
    solo-bass-pyrotechnics?

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow David, those clips are making me feel the need to woodshed this evening!!!

20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm so glad to see Chick revisiting the "Touchstone" thing again. I really enjoyed the original album a ton and I'm really jazzed that he's working with Carlos again, great playing chemistry there for sure. :)