Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carlo Mombelli

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chimp, Feb 27, 2005.

1. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I'm off to see this guy in about 10 minutes he is one of the most insane fretless players i have ever heard and i know a few people(j-raj) wanted me to give a write up so this is the pre match warmup. Will tell you how this show goes and if i can finally get to meet the guy!!!

P.S. I recomende to all you fretless players that you buy a cd of his. I recomend 'Bats in the Belfry'.

2. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Back from the gig! wow was that some crazy stuff! j-raj these guys are so abstract but i could imagine him with Fuze! His use of looping is realy crazy and probably the most inventive ive every heard! Great guy in between sets he came and spoke to everyone and yes i managed to get a cd signed! His use of chords on the bass is also crazy, and has really started some ideas in my head. He pulled out a fretless Ibanez from probably early 80's which he had recently started playing again funny thing was he had cut off the bottom horn looked good and according to him was so much more comfortable. He also played a 5 string fretless warwick and a custom 4 string fretted.

J-RAJ: he did venture into microtonal on some numbers, i wish i could tell you more about that side of things but i havent the knowledge to tell you about it.

To round it off i will say that he is a monster player! and a band well worth listening to if you are into abstract music. Warning i dont recomend it for easy listening this stuff is way to crazy!

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Chimp,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...

Some of those early Ibanez's are tone monsters... especially ones from the 80's.

What did Carlo play through? What was the instrumentation of the group?

I think that I'm going to see if I can find his CD's in the states...

Chat soon,
    Jairaj

4. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    He played a small gig so it was a small Harkte(sp?) he has Trumpet, Sax, Bone/vocals(same person) and a drummer/percussionist.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool, thx.

did the horn player get microtonal as well? I know you said that you weren't sure about the microtonality, did he mention maybe what the increments might have been that the was using?

i.e. 19, 31, 22 steps per octave.

6. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Nah sorry he didnt. The horn player was a very abstract soloist, he played only one jazz solo the rest were brilliant but different.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was looking at the setlist of my Basstorius bass talk 3 CD and there was Mombelli's name! Turns out his is the closing track on the CD. His tune is wild, a composition for "fretless bass and breathing"!

I could hear some Mick Karn in there, but he's not derivative.

Liner notes say he lives in Munich...