Carol Kaye documentary

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TRU, Aug 23, 2004.

1. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Guess what they showed last sunday night on primetime on the national #1 tv channel?

A documentary of Carol Kaye!!

That was awesome! You practically never see documentaries about musicians apart from Miles Davis and such and there she was grooving with her P-lyte. She talked about her career, how she got into playing bass and how she comes up with new basslines. She played some lines from the most popular tracks she's played: Beach Boys, Sonny&Cher, The Doors, etc and her playing was mixed to the recorded versions of those songs. She still has the groove.
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Damn, European TV rules as far as music stuff goes. Most of my bootleg type DVDs came from European TV hehe.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If you guys are in England, check out the new Bass Guitar Magazine, it has a artical on her.........and she is just as crazy as ever.......dissing five string basses, Jaco etc. :bag:
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I saw that. here's her printed comments on 'extended range' basses:

I didn't get the 4 string memo, guess I'd better sell my 5 string basses then :eyebrow:

I'd still love to see the documentary, though, there's no denying her place in the history of electric bass.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't deny her place in music history either, and would love to see the documentary. I was just reading the artical and thinking, wow she's being cool, no Jamerson shots......but then I kept reading....and she gets senile on me again. People here get riled up by comments by Jeff Berlin & Anthony Jackson.......but she takes the cake IMHO. :) :bag:
  6. hmm, it seems that she's got a rather dated view of what "commercial music" is.
    isn't a 5 an essential requirement for a session musician these days?

it reminds me of a recording engineer's criticism of today's music that was linked on TB- including the line "there is a lack of music you can dance to" :eyebrow:

ironic that towards the back of the very same issue of BGM is a pic of Gary Goodman with his infamous Adler 11-string :D
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the heavier Modern Rock that is out today requires at least a low D, not to mention all of the low end that's going on in Hip-hop. Even most of the cats I see playing Country have fivers. I really don't understand the comment about it " not being good for the overall sound". Oh well, it's just someone's opinion.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beach Boys...yes.
    Sonny & Cher..."OK".

The Doors?! Nope. The Doors used & credited a few bassists throughout their recorded output. Then again, I'm not 100% postive about their very last 2 records without Morrison(Other Voices & Full Circle).
    IIRC, one of her books has "Light My Fire" in played with a then-Pop artist covering the tune.
  9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Her playing's great but her big mouth is a turn off,
    it's out of control.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow they showed "Standing in the Shadows of Motown"? Great movie!

11. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I have a good friend who is an engineer working for ATT in Illinois (sp). who met her at a function a while back. He said she was old and lived in a trailor park in the general area. Not a bad thing, but with the career she's had, I guess I expecting to hear that she had a 5000 square foot, 10 acre spread somewhere. Heck, maybe she does(?).

Just a tidbit,

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    No disrespect to you or your friend but what your friend told you was not true at all.I have known Carole for a while and I can say she lives in a very nice and comfortable place.nor is she Poor,Starving or a has been.
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yes, Fenders - the Greatest Bass In The World. So great you buy new ones instead of changing strings, which is far too much of a hassle. Wait, make that Aria's. No wait, Fender again. Oops, sorry - I meant Ibanez. I'm sure this time.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I never buy shoelaces, I just buy new shoes when they

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Never ask about the "Carol Kaye" school of thought regarding underware...
  16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    well I've been playing bass fo 2 years and have yet to find a C.Kaye line that I could'nt play,so I'm either really great or she's really....?,back in the day way bass was new(electric that is)she was the shizzle,doing things that have'nt been seen(not done by any means)now that the electric bass is 53 plus years old her style and ideas are that of a novice by todays standards,look at some of the original electric guitarists(i'll mention no names due to fear of attack :eek: )back then they were devil music maker,rock-n-roll monsters,now any six stringer worth his salt would send those people to church for salvation.
    My point,then she was an innovator,now she's WAS(sorry carole :crying: )
  17. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not sure I agree with you, Demo.
    I still find her lines(& people like Joe Osborn) very tasteful. Some are quite 'busy' considering her milieu was Pop. I'm not hearing too many interesting things in Pop bass-dom these daze. IMO, the standards for Pop are lower in today's world.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I agree.most pop Bass lines today are close to non exsitence.

a couple of friends of mine auditioned for the singer Usher.out of about 25-30 Bass players no one got the Gig.from what I was told they really didn't know what they wanted
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have "the right look" or something.

brad cook
  20. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    even better than that usher is touring with out a real bass player ,it's all left hand bass played by one of the keyboard player's or seqeunced (sp) but if you listen to his cd there are no real basslines