Carol Kaye

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RichardW, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I have no idea about this guy's bona fides, but I'm in favor of anything that brings greater attention to Carol Kaye.

2. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Me too.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  3. Adg672

Adg672

Aug 12, 2018
    100%

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  4. B-line

B-line Inactive

GREAT post!

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  5. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I guess if Carol had known there was a contest, she would have tried harder back in the day.

Stevorebob likes this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I just watched the video and thought it was great. I knew that Carol had played on lots of classic recordings (and that there's considerable debate about her claims regarding some of them), but I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know. Thanks for posting!

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  7. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Carol is absolutely a living legend.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  8. I watch Polyphonic’s videos. He done a video on John Bonham and Flea as well. His channel is great for music related stuffs. I suggest 12 Tone for theory and song analysis, and Adam Neeley for the deepest parts of music you never thought of exploring.

Anyhow, Carol was a legend, and along with Jamerson, helped lay the standard for how the bass should be played.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  9. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just ordered the book he mentioned that she wrote. Got the kindle version. I read somewhere she still does skype lessons.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yes, I saw some video from one of her lessons & she's still using the Ibanez SRX700.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022