1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carruthers SUB-1

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jazzman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My bass instructor has a Carruthers SUB-1 he is looking to unload. I have been thinking about an electric upright for silent practice. This one didn't sound too good to me, but I have a hard time believing I would like the sound of any EUB, so the poor sound is not of concern. :bag: I would only use this at home.

Anyway, what do these sell for used? Anyone want to lend input? My other option is the NS Design WAV4.

Thanks a lot.

2. I don't know what price you'd pay for a used one.
    I own mine since about 6 years, and bought it new.
    The fingerboard had very little scoop, so you may need to get it dressed, if your instructor didn't care for it.
    The tone of the existing pickup system was never to my liking.
    I ended up using a Big Twin, mounted the same way you'd use an Underwood pu, with a new bridge.

Hope this helps!
    François

3. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

I've seen these go for between $1200-$2300 depending on the age, options and condition. The Sub1 can be made to sound pretty good. Experimenting with different strings and a different bridge can really open it up. Converting the preamp to 18volt operation opens up the sound and increases headroom. I think Sam Sherry did this. Francois here on TB has one as well and he has done quite a bit of experimenting. I played it a few years ago and it sounded great. At the time he had some classical strings (IIRC) and a new bridge. I was going to mod mine like this as well but haven't gotten around to it as I bought mine for flying/travel and don't do as many road gigs since I've gotten married. I'm thinking of selling mine as I need a new fingerboard for my DB.

4. Bass Boy

Bass Boy Supporting Member

Ha Francois! You just beat me to the post!

I agree that you may want to have the fingerboard dressed. I'm not sure what was up the day they did my board but it was a little "off". I brought it to Mario Lamarre and now it plays beautifully.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks a lot guys. I may go for it assuming the price is fair.

6. acbass

acbass

Nov 9, 2007
    Hey does anyone have a Carruthers Sub 1 5 string for sale?
    ACBass