carrying the gear

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by repair01, Jan 3, 2004.

1. repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    is it just me or does the bass player usually have the most gear(not just for bass)to carry around?in my case i've got to carry my 2 basses and 4x10 cab and head, plus i've got to carry around a mic/stand/mic amp, and the entire PA this somwehat universal or did i just get stuck with the s**t end of the stick?
  2. bass players have all the money and all the stuff :D downside is we have to carry it.

no i think its just natural thing for the bassplayer to have everything, i have PA drums and a monster bass rig but my band doesnt gig or anything so i dont need to carry it. my guitar player has a nice little 1x12 combo and my rythm guitarist has a 2x12 combo. i wish i could have an amp so small so cheap yet so loud:(
  3. Cut a comprimise.

The band want your gear? They can come pick it up and drive it to the shows, and then carry into the club.

Otherwise, they can start looking for a good soundguy. :rolleyes:

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In my last band, I always seemed to help moving everything. My stuff, about half of the drummers stuff, the guitarists cabs, ect.

Usually because I went about moving stuff effiently and quickly. I could go from showing up to being ready to play in less than 5 minues, while everyone else was still unloading and setting up.

Mind you, this was with two basses and two Eden 410s. The rest of them just didn't know how to get the lead out on gear.
  5. Undert0ad

Oct 28, 2003
    nr Philly

$39.95 at Lowes.

Carries 200 pounds, folds to less than an inch.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Drummers usually get the worst of it, in terms of hauling gear and setting it up. But the PA is definitely a lot of work, whoever's got that has some extra shlepping and wiring to do. Yeah, I'd think it would be reasonable to expect some help from your band members with hauling the gear and setting it up (and tearing it down).
  7. Not only does the bass player have all the gear but we seem to be the only ones that know how to drive, purchase and maintain a van. And then when it isn't running right... well let's just say they still haven't bought one. And what is their reason for not buying one....Ohh, my wife says she is to scared to drive it and I can't afford three vehicles.
  8. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Drummers got it worse.
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This thing is awesome! I love mine.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Same with me. Actually my guitarist isn't bad, but he usually has to take an extra five or ten minutes to figure out why his amp or one of his pedals isn't working. The drummer has ADD so I have to babysit him to make sure he doesn't get sidetracked, and the singer, while having absolutely nothing to setup, takes the longest. I have no idea why it takes him half an hour to get from the car to the stage.

At least our soundguy is on top of things.
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't envy drummers or them what bears the brunt of hauling and rigging a PA...
  12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I always get to shows before the other guys. I set my stuff up before they even get there and usually have to help them load in so we won't start late. The drummer always says " it only takes me five minutes to set up my drums". What I keep trying to tell him is that it takes 10 minutes for the sound company to mic them, and another 10 to sound check them. The singer walks in and hands the engineer his wireless receiver and then does who knows what. Oh yeah, he tunes his acoustic guitar once for the night.:D The guitar player is pretty much on his game but always has some mystery injury and needs help loading in his stuff.
  13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    If I don't have to deal with the PA, I can be set up in less than five minutes. Two chords, a safe place for the stand, and I'm watching the drummer engineer his kit. I hate to be selfish, but every time I end up helping the other players, I get abandoned when it's my turn. I would also like to generally thank my lucky stars that gear has gotten a lot lighter than when I tried to make a living at the band thing 20 years ago. I used to hump twin 15" cabinets and my old Lab Series L4 like a pack mule. Now I know that if I take my Goliath Senior cabinet to a gig I have to have help or a "spotter." I learned this the hard way on the fourth of July last year. After a three hour performance I literally could not budge it. Thank God some old ladies happened by and took pity on me.
  14. Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    30 years of setup & teardown of my drums, pa, guitar amps, lights... lazy drunk fellow band members, I need to get home so I just lift the stuff to get out so I can get home...been through all of it. Last 2 bands, before I joined laid down the law, I am NOT the bands roadie, I will carry MY stuff, and help with the PA since I am using mics. Worked out very well, and now that I am going to bass, it should work out a whole lot better! I believe in the "all together" way of thought, but it allways seems that the rhythm section is also the roadie section, at least in the groups I hae been in!:rolleyes:
  15. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I carry my own stuff. If the guitarist is carrying his stuff, and I'm done before he is, I might help him out. I'd expect the same. I usually help drummers carry their gear
  16. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I had the problem with bandmembers that were too lazy to help with load in/load out. Thanks to the TBers who helped me out on this one. The solution was that bandmembers who don't help out get a smaller cut of the money form a gig, plain and simple.

I myself, get the lightest gear that I could get away with and aim to do load-in/out in one trip. On most nights I do. If there is a gig where I need to get in and out quick, or load in is a royal pain in the a$$, the stage/room is too small, I'll bring my Sansamp Bass DI and no amp. Since we have a decent PA and monitors, it's no problem for me. Since I'm the soundman, I can tweak to my desire.
  17. The only gigs I get are non paying gigs that 5-10 bands play at, and all share the same equipment. So I just show up with my bass and I'm ready to rock out. God bless the local scene.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The unwritten law in Australia is "you bring it, you carry it". I know it sounds a bit selfish bt it actually saves a lot of arguements.
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I usually bring just one bass and an amp head. Like Jive 1, on some gig's I've even forgone the head and just used a Sansamp through the PA and house monitors.

Being the bass player sucks only if there are no cabs/monitors to run through at the gig. Then it's time to bust out the Wesco ultralight folding cart.
  20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    No-Offense, but, non paying gigs where you share the stage with 5-10 bands doesn't make for a nice local scene to me.