1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

carvin b2000 vs mesa carbine m6?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i love my m6 but i might be wanting more power with the fearb project underway.

do these amps sound similar? i love the quickness of the m6 and how it can get sparkly yet deep

b2000 looks like it has everything im looking for like simplicity but has a deep switch like the m6

has anyone played both of these heads? how do they compare?

i don't think there is anyway to add a power to the m6 without selling it and going to the m9

2. Sell the M6 and get an M9. Done. You'll be happy you did. The Carvin is a good amp from what I have read here at TB (especially for the dollar), but it does not have the re-sale value of Mesa gear and does not sound like the M-series either. Go M9. IMO of course...

3. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    I have the M6, but i am thinking I probably want to go custom amp like Morgan before I upgrade to the M9... What is the awesome thing about the M9 Limeman?

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    the thing that sucks is that if i upgrade to the m9 im not even gaining 100 watts at 8ohms. not sure that would be worth it.

5. cliffbass1

cliffbass1

Jun 1, 2003
    Minnesota
    Bjazzman: M6 320 watts @ 8ohms, M9 450 watts @ 8ohms that is 130 more watts you would gain :D hmmm i like the M9 maybe ill trade my Mesa 400+ for a M9 :D

6. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I bought a M9 after reading all the hype on TB about it. I thought it was pretty lackluster myself. Got loud, but didn't care for the tone at all, even with all the EQ bells and whistles. If it were me I'd give the Carvin a shot.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I had the chance to play the new Markbass SD1200 back to back with the Mesa M6 & I GREATLY preferred the SD1200 for both tone and power~ you may want to give this head a try.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Despite me nit-picking things about the Carvin B2000 (see the Low Down Sound club thread and the BX1500/B2000 thread for those comments and a more in-depth review of the B2000 into a LDS built fEarful 15/6/1) I really did like that head paired with that type of cab.

The head I ended up going with, and one you should consider if you're looking for lots of power into 8 ohms.... and can afford the hefty price tag... Is the Tecamp Puma1000. As Ken once said about these amps "Bring your wallet, and your friend's wallet." That said, it's my favorite amp into the fEarful designs so far.

9. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I played the M6 on the Mesa 4x10 powerhouse cabs, (AMAZING CABS btw) and I was really disapointed. Mesa definately let me down on that one, but I am still saving up for the Mesa Big Block 750 head. $1500 bucks of pure tubyness :D

10. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Not being able to go 4 ohms bridged is the big disadvantage to that head for the money it cost IMO.

11. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    yeah the puma is way out of my price range. plus, carvin offers a 10 day return policy

but the mesa tone is "my" tone so i hope i wouldn't sacrifice much with the carvin

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Mesa M6 is a good head, but I think it really lacks in the low 200 to 400 hz department in exchange for a really clear tone. The highs and lows are good, the midrange is punchy, but the thickness or your bass tone is subdued.

I don't have direct experience with the Carvin B2000, but the BX1200 or BX1500 IMO is a much superior head. More power at 4 ohms, 1200 watts or 1500 watts, a fuller tone without a goofy built-in "EQ Setting", lots of clarity, punchy and non-nasally midrange and so on. I highly suggest going for the Carvin heads - whichever one you like.

I think it is rediculous to not buy an amp based on it's resale value. That's like saying, "I really love playing that bass, but I won't purchase it because I can't sell it for that much. I guess I will go buy that so-so bass because I can sell it for more in the future". :rollno:

Financially speaking - good idea, in any other way of thinking - completely stupid.

13. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i had the bx1200 and a/b'd it to the mesa but the mesa won for me in the tone department. i just felt better. the bx was too bright, and lacked that "it" factor even after extensive eq'ing. The b2000 is probably a different beast than the bx heads, probably for the better. Plus, im all about simplicity

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Since I'm running a single, large 8 ohm cab it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Additionally, if you buy a Puma1000 new from Tecamp you'll get the updated model, which bridges safely down to 4 ohms.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    B2000 is not known to me, but the B1500 is. I sold my Demeter rig the first week after I bought the Carvin. FWIW.

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Different strokes.....the M9/ LDS 15/6 has extinguished all my amp GAS.

17. That is a perfect description of the tone of the M6 (IMO). VERY impressive amp, but more 'wide and bright' than 'meaty and punchy' to me.

If the OP digs the M6, the M9 will be a bit louder and the graphic EQ 'should' let you even out and/or punch up the low mid punch.

M9 seems like a no brainer for the OP... he loves his M6 but want a bit more power... that's the M9, and you get the more powerful EQ as a bonus!

18. I always describe the M6/M9 as Mesa heads for those who don't like Mesa heads. If you are a fan of the very tubey, fat, warm signature Mesa tone (MPulse600, Walkabout, BB750, etc.), you would most likely not like these heads, which are much more 'modern, solid state' sounding than anything else in Mesa's line-up.

19. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    I have yet to play a BOOGIE product for guitar or bass that I did not like.

Fanboism aside, they just make a fantastic, rock-solid product that sounds great. IMO of course.

20. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    just curious.. do you have to run a lot of power to the cab with the m9?

i was just wondering since the m9 isn't that much more power than the m6