Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Dec 13, 2005.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well, i was looking for used basses to purchase and i ran across an early 90s Carvin LB70. the bass has a hairline crack between the knobs, and several miscellaneous dents. it's got poplar body sides, two stacked humbuckers, and the bridge is a little messed up. i was just wondering how much you guys would pay for a Carvin in this condition.

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Funny you should mention an LB-70. I just came back from my local guitar shop and they just got an '01 LB-70W in. I took it off the hanger and played it a little bit. This particular bass is mint...I swore it looked new. They were asking $595 and it included a hard shell case. Here's the link from their site..http://www.davesguitar.com/products.html?13256 I'm not sure if this helps or not. The neck was a little "chunky" for me, but it sure was a beautiful bass.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    that is a very nice looking Carvin. i've bookmarked that link, in case i ever wanna go back to check it out in the next 2-3 weeks. the asking price for the particular Carvin i stated was like... $450 w/ a case. any more input on this bass?

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would try and get it down to around 400 bucks. It's hard to say, though, unless you know exactly how damaged the bridge is and how serious the crack at the control cavity is.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well, on the bridge it's just that the intonation screw on the E-string saddle is broken so that it cannot pull the saddle back, but only push it forward. the hairline crack apparently can only be seen in special light.

i had actually wanted to buy a new Carvin for myself, but at my skill level i just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a bass. i'm alternately looking at new/used Fender American Jazzes, and i was looking at the Ibanez SRX700 for awhile.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    $595 for the LB70W on the Dave's Guitar site is a great price, and it would be a great bass. :cool:

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea i've really begun considering that LB70W. dunno though, still thinking.

8. Carvins are nice looking basses. i have their catalog. but if you can spend in the $400 to $500 range, in my opinoin, you should look for a used Fender Jazz(mia). their sound is the industry standard for bass. they are pro grade basses. and none of the previosly mentioned basses will hold their re-sale value as well as a Fender. i bought my highway 1, new, for
    $649, w/ gig bag. i had to purchase my own hs case. :cool:

and, i wouldn't pay more than $250 - $300, for the Carvin.
    i just sold a Fender Jazz Deluxe V w/ active pups, (mim), in excellent condition, for $300. so keep looking. your bass is out there. you just gotta find it.