1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Mb 210 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnewmark, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  2. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Here's the link to the MB210 product page. The amp is currently out of stock but due back by Dec. 14th.

This is an interesting new twist on the Microbass designs. It should be the loudest and most balanced cabinet design of the four, IMHO.

From the announcement email:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carvin is excited to announce the MB210, our newest entry in our popular Micro Bass amp lineup. The MB210 is one astonishing micro bass amp that really delivers the punch and tone for bass guitar. It produces 250w of clean RMS power, capable of out-performing anything in its class. The Neodymium titanium tweeter adds to the upper harmonics to enhance the overall sound. The micro size is only 12.75" wide x 11.5" deep x 24.5" high and is a lightweight 36 lbs."

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]

3. I've been eyeing the MB12 as I'm in need of a lightweight, inexpensive combo. This justs screws up everything...:rollno:

4. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    The Carvin Microbass series looks interesting, and now they have the new 2x10 they've recently released. Looks very cool, and portable. Anyone have experience with this series of combo amps, or has anyone bought this one yet?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=MB210

Had my GK 150MBE stolen awhile back, and have been looking for a small, portable replacement for it. This just might do it!

5. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Nice overall package. Would be even better if the amp put out 300@8 and 500@ 4ohms like the BX 500 even if it cost a few bucks more.

Hyper-sloth likes this.
  6. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    There would be too many returns from people who have no clue how to use that amount of power into a pair of tens responsibly. Hitting two tens with 200 watts is plenty, especially in a ported cab where the user is probably going to be cranking the bass to make up for the cab's low-end deficiencies.

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Speaking of ports, where is it on this cab ? Or, where is the tweeter ?

8. Tempting as I like Carvin products.Has anyone used the 115MB cab?Thats gotten my eye, too.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

Wish I had the driver specs so I could plot what this thing does. But then I don't know if the baffle board cutout is only that or just the visible portion of something more.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I have the 1x15 version of this combo.
    I like it a lot. well worth the $$$$$.
    And loud for it's size.

11. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    Maybe 400@ 4ohms then. I realize you can double cone area with an extension cab, but it would nice to pick up more than 50 watts. I don't maybe it's loud 250.

12. Shippy

Shippy

Dec 15, 2011
    Fairport NY
    Was able to play through the new amp tonight, and compare it to the MB12 combo. I'm a newbie, but "hear" goes...

The MB 210 offers a lot of sound compared to the MB12. The MB12 sounds much brighter, perhaps the three-way design is just hotter in the mids. They share the same amp. In the small demo room in San Diego it sounded very load, not sure how that would transfer to a larger room.

The sound is very clean... even with the Drive turned up to 8, it still sounded very crisp. I played the Brian Bromberg 4-string which is an active bass - I may go back on Saturday with my Squier Jazz and convince myself I need to buy this. Just a coincidence I'm in San Diego on business.

The 10 inch drivers are not Neos, just the HF drive is a Neo. Weight is appropriate. The tall orientation is fine and sends the sound out... but if you want to run it with a second cab, it might look awkward if you stack it on a 1x15, or find it difficult to use the amp settings if you have it horizontal.

13. Shippy

Shippy

Dec 15, 2011
    Fairport NY
    I was able to play the new MB210 combo tonight at the Carvin store in San Diego. I compared it to the MB12, which is a three-way design. The MB 210 sounds clean and not too bright. In the small demo room, the MB12 sounded brighter in the mids, which I would expect.

It's a nice combo, but I have limited experience with other amps and do not play in any band. It's not too light, the 10 s are not Neos, but the HF drive is. The price is reasonable, not sure I need this right now...

14. I can not even begin to say how perfect this would be for my EUB/acoustic-y gigs...

I've had that BX250 amp head and it is great. Coupled with this 2x10, it just might be ideal. Oh, man...

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have the MB12. I find the speakers to be average - not bad, but not great - pretty middle of the road, comparable to Peavey. The combo's a little boxy. I don't know if that's the speaker or the box.

The amp, however, is freakin' awesome if you like clean and modern sizzle. For one regular gig I play, I pair the Carvin up with a Hartke HyDrive 410 and it blows me away every time. I've seriously been considering one of Carvin's higher watt heads ever since.

16. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Anybody pull the trigger on one of these yet? I am thinking it would be perfect for the small rock trio side project I'm pulling together, at least for rehearsals. Would love for anybody who has got one in the last couple weeks to post up their thoughts! :bassist:

17. Steve York

Steve York Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
    Fodera, Lakland artist.
    I bought a Carvin MB 112 combo last summer. I'm very impressed by it but I mainly use it for low to medium volume jazz and Latin jazz gigs. Not a lot of low end without an extension cab. I also have a Markbass 112 combo that blows the Carvin away for volume and low end, but the Carvin has more clarity and finesse than the Markbass.
    I was so impressed with the head on the combo that I bought the stand alone Carvin BX250 head. It does not have enough power to drive my Bergantino 112's to my satisfaction, but it sounds great hooked up to my Gallien Krueger MB112's. With one cab it has way more low end than the Carvin combo. With two GK micro cabs it has enough volume and low end to handle most medium volume bar gigs with ease. I've also been using the Carvin head / GK cab combination for recording with great results.
    I would not recommend the Carvin combo for rock gigs, but the Carvin Micro heads are worth a try.

18. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Yeah, Thanks Steve, I appreciate the feedback. I think that for this project this may not be the best stage combo, but I have to believe that the 2x10 is gonna move a lot more air than a single 12. I think it may be perfect for a little portable practice amp, especially since I can't justify the scratch for a Mesa Walkabout. When the rubber meets the road for actual gigs with the project, I'll probably stick with my SVT-3 Pro and 410HLF.
    Well, since nobody has actual experience with the MB210 yet, maybe I'll take the plunge this morning and order the thing. With the tweed covering, hopefully it'll look nice in the living room. :cool:

-R

19. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Well, to follow up, I am a little torn.

I got it a week ago, but only had a chance to play it in a band rehearsal setting last night. I brought it down to the practice space to play with my main indie rock project. It, of course, wouldn't cut the mustard on it's own cutting through two guitarists with a 60's Fender bandmaster head through 1x12 and a Matchless, but that was to be expected. However, I happen to keep my other practice amp, a Carvin RL6815, there and thought I would plug in just the 15" portion of combo in as the extension cab. DAMN, that little BX250 head built it pushes that and the 210's of the MicroBass just fine, and plenty loud.

So it gets me to thinking, why can't I just call Carvin and order up an extension cab, made from an MB210, without the amp? The box will undoubtedly be choked compared to the big ported design of the 15" in that combo, but it should certainly make it loud enough for most gigs.

The nice thing, is then you would have 2 2x10's with matching footprint to stack, put side by side, or have one behind you and the other as a side fill. Sadly, they won't build it for me. ***?!? The rep at Carvin said that unless people are beating their doors down for that style of extension cabinet, that management won't do it, and that nothing like that is "in the works at this time". Very frustrating. So I am now on the bubble of having to decide whether to send this amp, that I otherwise like just fine back, because I can't get an extension cabinet that matches the 210's footprint. :mad:

Any thoughts? Anybody feel like flooding Carvin with requests for a matching extension cab? :meh:

20. I would love to see a 210 extension. I'm in a similar boat where I need to buy a portable amp like this for stuff that doesn't require my 410HLF and SVT-7. I can't decide between this one or one of the Ampeg minis (CL or VR Micros).