1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Case for '97 Alembic 6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TroyK, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, a friend of mine has a '97 Alembic 6 String and is looking for a case for it that he could use around town, but also occasionally ship it in. He asked me if I knew of something or of someplace that makes custom cases like that. I'm mostly an upright guy, but I told him I knew who to ask (you guys).

Anyone have any suggestions that I can pass along to my friend?

2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Honestly, I would take it into guitar center or another local shop and try a bunch of their generic hard shell bass cases.

3. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Why not get a calzone type case? You can certainly ship it in it, and although it might be heavy it certainly would be an extra durable case.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Is there something strange about the body shape that wont allow it to fit in a typical electric bass case? Any local music shop should have standard one-size-fits-all hardshell cases by Gator or SKB. If his wont fit, getting the model of the bass will be much more useful to us than the year.

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    you could call Alembic and ask them about a case for it..

custom-wise, i'd look at Anvil/Calzone to have a case made for it.. they do have lighter cases, but are not full-ATA cases..

6. A CHEAP-ASSED, GENERIC case to ship a bass that can potentially cost in excess of $10,000.00..... Hmmm, why not? That sounds logical.:D My Calzone Cases for my 2 Jazz Bass Specials are probably worth more than the basses themselves. But, those basses are far and away worth WAAAY MORE in sentimental value to me. I don't get a player buying an expensive bass, and then turn around & buy a cheap-assed case for it. It just don't make sense. I have Calzone Cases for everything, even my 4x10's.

7. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sound advice.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'll pass along the suggestions to my friend.

As for "is there something unique about the body?" I don't know, I haven't seen it, though his request implied to me that there was.

I came up on electric bass and still have a 90's Warwick, but almost all of my work for the last decade has been on upright, so I'm a little out of touch on this type of instrument and what's been happening in the market. (which means I wasn't really a good person to ask, but I do want to help if I can)

I've gotten some good advice here, I'll go back to him with it.

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone with a 10K bass would be so ridiculously cavalier as to not ever have had a hard case for it to begin with, especially if it's a 15 year old Alembic. And a GENERIC case refers to the SHAPE, it doesn't mean "Made in Whocaresistan out of carboard, stale toast, and Elmers glue." :D

10. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    My 2011 Alembic came with a G&G case directly through Alembic.

11. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    I ordered mine with a roadcase, pricey but max protection :bassist:
    The case comes from Jan-Al: Jan-Al website
    It's huge and heavy (about 20kg) I have Ken Smith "Teardrop" cases for my Spoilers, if you would remove the interior of the Jan-Al case two of them will fit in easily (!)

Pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spijker approved:

[​IMG]