1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cases - aarrgghhhh!!! GRRRRR!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IanStephenson, Apr 23, 2006.

1. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I bought an expensive bass (+$1000 second hand) from a shop a few years ago, and it's been in the case that they gave me with it since then. It wasn't a great case, but I figure it's safe enough, and I'll get a better case sometime.

I recently started using the bass more, and noticed a large chip in the paintwork... suspicious, but I know I haven't dropped it or dinged it at all, so it must have been there since I got it right? Not the end of the world - it has a few scatches and marks on that there there when I bought it, but it plays good, and over time these thing happen, so I'm not going to stress too much.

Well today I noticed flecks of paint IN THE CASE!!! One of the pins in the case was pushing throught the padding and has bored a circular hole in the end of my bass about 1/8" diameter. I am one NOT HAPPY bass player. I checked, and there where three our four of these pins - it just happend that one of them was right on the heel of my bass.

I figured the case was keeping my bass safe, when all this time it's been trashing it!!!!! I would name the brand, but it's not got any obvious branding on - it's (probably) plywood covered in black plastic with croc-skin molding. The givaway is the rounded corners have thick plasic feet/mouldings nailed on. I knew it was cheap, but I as it was just sitting round the house that it would do the job.

A new SKB is on order! I should have it before my next outing with the bass. I've learnt a lesson - that cases are not equal, and OK is not OK. Anyone want to buy an old bass case cheap?

Ian

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That sucks dude; I'm sorry to hear about it. As long as it still plays well, eh?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey man, kinda curious, how about some pics?