Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cat odors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Feb 25, 2006.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Anybody here ever used anything to get cat urine odors out of carpeting?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Check with a local vet. They usually carry stuff that works better than anything you can get at a department store. Of course, ya gotta pay vet prices! BTW..great meeting ya last night Chris!

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We use Urine Gone. Comes with a black light to find the stains. :eyebrow: Not sure where the wife bought it.

4. ^HAHAHAAHAHA!! That's hilarious.

I just use Fabreeze for the smell.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    A shotgun.

Actually, that mostly gets rid of the cat. But it might tear out some carpet, too.

I know what you're going through, though, my cat (who resides at my parents) has gone off the deep end and pisses all over everything. We pretty much keep her locked up in a corner of the basement where she can't hurt anything, and only let her out when we can watch her closely. It's sad. She needs to be put down, but my little sister is not having it. Funny how a fifteen year old can run a house, isn't it?

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey, this thread is like a bowlus bass borg reunion!

As a flooring guy, I will say it really depends on the severity of the damage. Unless it is very minor, and was only a once or twice thing ever, it has probably soaked into the pad....which unfortunately a bad deal. You can spray all the crap you want at it, but it will still smell like a mix of flowers, and cat piss.

If it is bad, total replacemtnt of the carpet, pad, and possibly subfloor will be what it takes to completely get rid of it. I've done work in houses (NEVER again) that the floor was so soaked with it, that the nails on the tack strip were rusted away and gone, and when the new padding was put down it too was wet from it coming back up from the floor. That was an extreme case, but in order to actually fix it it would have needed all new floors down to the joists, and new drywall since they somehow managed to make a sponge of it too. Animals (cats especially) can do some serious damage to homes.

If you would end up replacing the carpet, make sure you coat the floor with something called Kilz (available at any home improvement store) to seal it up, or else it WILL reappear.

Best of luck!

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    +1 on the Killz. When we bought our house, one bedroom REEKED like cat piss. We pulled the carpet up, painted the floor with Killz, and replaced the carpet, and I haven't smelled it since.

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Long live the Bowlus Borg! Well, the whole story.....She's a very LARGE cat, and she can't clean herself that well, so she keeps getting bladder infections. We replaced the carpeting in December, which was needed, not just due to her previous accidents. I smelled the hardwood floor beneath, and couldn't smell anything. I should've put kilz, but I didn't want to do that to the hardwood. Since I was sniffing all around, and couldn't smell a thing, I thought why bother. The good news is I paid extra for this new pad that supposedly resists all odors. The warranty says any odor, and they will replace it, including labor. I don't see any stain, so if I can just get rid of the smell, I should be set.
    Nice meeting all you guy too...I still think we should have had name tags...Or at least sit in a circle so we could get up and say.."my name is________, and I'm a bassaholic"!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, from IP to cat pee, we're sticking it out together, eh? :D