1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Caught between a single 12” or a 2 X 10”

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toothyfish, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Toothyfish

Toothyfish

Jul 3, 2018
    Looking for a small cabinet, for a variety of styles, ranging from rock to blues to jazz to worship. Small venues, lower volumes...
    I like the fullness of sound that say a 4 X 10 gives but it’s not practical for what I need.
    I’m not really concerned with weight (I mean...it’s small), so if heavier helps with warmth and lows, it could work.

My head of choice is a GK MB fusion, if that helps and I typically play Jazz Basses.
    Would probably refer an 8 Ohm, just in case I would want a second cabinet for larger rooms and outdoors.
    I see a lot out there but typically only get to test Markbass, Fender, and Ampeg.
    GK, Aguilar, Eden, Mesa...and such all are tempting.

Any thoughts?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO try a bunch of 210 and 112 cabs and pick the one you like. I ran an Eden D210XLT for years and had good results in a variety of acoustic and musical situations. There are much lighter options available today.

I suggest adding 115 as an option. I haven't tried the new (well reviewed) Mesa Subway 115 but the old PH115 was awesome!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Be careful using an external speaker on a combo. I used to do it with my SWR combo. It was designed for it. Cabinet was 8 ohms (recommended). After playing for a set, the amp would be so hot i could not touch the heat sink.
    Plus, watch the weight, we are not getting any younger.

4. a 112 vs a 210 with equivalent quality woofers... the 210 will cost more, weigh more, move a little more air, and handle a bit more power - you've got two woofers. The form factor will be a bit different too.

It also seems that there are a lot more quality options in a 112 than in a 210.

When I searched for a new primary cab a few years ago, I seriously considered the Genzler BA12-3, an Audiokinesis Hathor, a Barefaced Big Baby, and a Greenboy. I thought a bit about a Bergantino or a Mesa in a more traditional design as well but quickly decided I wanted something a bit more cutting edge. I ended up going with the Genzler and have been very happy. The lows are big, warm, round and authoritative. The mids are vocal. The highs very present but never hard. The transitions between the registers are great. The dispersion characteristic of the cab allow it to fill a room without getting quite as loud... but it does get loud. I haven't run ito a situation where one was not enough for me. I did purchase without testing it but read everything I could and listened as best I could to online reviews. The Audiokinesis was my second choice and I think I would have been equally happy with it.

All that said, you may find that the even smaller Genzler, the BA10-2, would meet all of your described needs. I have one and it is very impressive. It would work alone for about 98% of my uses. There are fewer reviews of it online but they are out there. There are a number of folk on both the Genzler thread and on the Worship bassists thread who are finding that two of the BA10-2's is enough for all of their needs.

Here's a written review of the combo but you can suss out the bits that relate to the cab specifically.

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I would get two single 12" cabs (8 ohms), good ones. That's what I have. Tone and volume for days. The newer cabs are lighter these days so that's a plus. Revsound is getting lots of love these days and these babies are sweet and very light. I would get get one with a tweeter and one without!
    RS112T Bass Cabinet | RevSound

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    When I sold my Epifani 410 I replaced it with a Berg AE112 and AE210. Separately and together they sounded so good.

I slightly preferred the sound of the 12 and finally went with 2 then 3 AE112's.

jeff7bass and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Budget?

jeff7bass and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have a Berg CN112 and a CN210. Although I love the 112 the 210 really cuts through the mix better. The 210 is slightly heavier but is well balanced and easier to carry. Combining the two is fabulous.

chris_b and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    This. :)

Pbassmanca and Wasnex like this.
  10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    You will get more low end out of the 2 ten's. Its interesting because I purchased the Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and I wanted their DB 4 ten cab. However it was just about 100 pounds and even with wheels I don't want to lift that cabinet up the stairs into my car for every gig. I found they also had a two 12 cab that was about 30 pounds less. Needless to say I am quite happy with it.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. Caught between a single 12” or a 2 X 10”

This is is either some sort of fantasy, or a bad prison nightmare. Either way, you're on your own.

12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Neither, Mesa Subway 15.

ObsessiveArcher and MyMusic like this.
  13. Barefaced One10. 15 lbs, 8 Ohm. Very lowd and fat sounding for its size and weight.

14. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    How about a TC 2x12 (supposedly refurb, looks like NOS) for $260 or so? 52 lbs but it's so tall and skinny it's easy to move.
    TC Electronic RS212 $260 Shipped

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    Under a certain price range, more speakers is going to mean more volume, so the 210 will be the answer.

Over a certain price range, youll be shocked what a 112 (or a 2 or 3 way cab like fearless/fearful with 12", 6' and horn) will do. Look into the Aguilar SL112 is a great a cab that would sit in the middle of the range.

16. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I prefer tone from multiple drivers. There's a 'fulness' of the tone from that coupling, which tips the scales toward at least two drivers. I've found that so even with Barefaced, fEarful, etc. These days I have low volume needs, so a small Phil Jones BG-150 combo (four 4" drivers) and a PB300 powered extension cab (six 4" drivers) are enough. The multi-driver idea is a personal taste thing, but it's worth experimenting as you triangulate on a solution.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I would get an 8-ohm 2x10, with the idea of adding a second matching cab (for a vertical stack) sometime in the future if needed.

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It comes nowhere near keeping up with a 1x12 though.

Low Class likes this.
  19. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Another vote for the Mesa Subway 15.

20. I am using a Carvin 2*10 right now and I love the tight punch and it delivers a surprisingly nice low end

Pbassmanca likes this.