Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD Release Party

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Michael Manring, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    My new CD, Soliloquy, is finally going to be ready and I’m having a release party next weekend in Berkeley, CA. I hope those of you live in the Bay Area will consider stopping by and saying hello (and bringing a few friends!).

Thanks!
    Michael

Soliloquy CD Release Party
    Sat. Apr. 16, 8:00 pm
    The Jazz School
    2087 Addison St. Berkeley, CA
    510-845-5373, http://www.jazzschool.com/
    Admission $20 (includes a copy of Soliloquy!)
    sponsored by Zon Guitars (http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/press/manring.html)

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Thanks for the invite, I'll definitely be there!! See you next weekend. Is there anything other TBers want to do to identify ourselves to each other?

3. I'll be there!

It was very difficult to convince the Jazzschool to sell me a ticket in person. The lady seemed to have a lot of better things to do.

All in all though, it was still easier than finding the top-secret "Strings."
    ;)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, that place was a trip and a half. Amazing venue, but I couldn't help but feel I was crashing someone's party.

5. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Just got back from the CD release party, and I feel emotionally drained! What a tour-de force! Two hours of solo bass exploration!

The new CD is amazing, as well. The pdf that comes on the CD--extended notes, tuning, recording procedures, etc.--is a nice touch! I really love the weird, expressionistic pieces, though they're scary enough to prevent me from falling asleep to the CD (that one piece sounds like a growling monster!); they break up the other songs nicely. Each song has a different sound and feel; I was worried that the CD--as I imagined it before hearing it--might be numbing by the end, but it's not. It's all varied and arranged quite well.

After reading the project notes for the album, I'm blown away by the concept of it. It's moving. Michael is quite the transcendentalist of the bass world--it's like "Song of Myself" as music, with Michael as the Whitman of stringed instruments. I'm jealous! I'm a second-rate Kafka, too paranoid and self-defeating to do anything worthwhile!

There are things that Michael did in some pieces that I still don't get even after watching him do it for two hours. That weird hybrid slap technique on the Hyperbass for one; what's going on there?!

I would love to see some transcriptions of these songs! I think Michael should set up a PayPal account and sell them individually, or something.

I also met Joe Zon there. Great guy! He told me my Hyperbass should be ready to be picked up by the end of next week. I guess the special bridge has gone through some updates and are a little different than the one on Michael's bass--a little smaller, more dense, Joe said it got a better tone because of it. Have you checked those out, Michael?

All told, a great night and a special performance. I'll always remember it. I'm lucky to live in the Bay Area; I get to see a lot of performances. Michael is playing near my house in a couple weeks, and I'll probably go to that one, too. Maybe I'll bring the Hyperbass for you to lay hands on and bless, Michael? Would that be okay? I wouldn't feel right playing it without you having christened it.

PS: Did you know the Brookdale Lodge is haunted? It's one of the most haunted areas, supposedly, in the US; you can read about it in most ghost hunting books. I would like to hear a solo bass piece inspired by the little girl's ghost. Spooky!

This hardly needs to be said on this board, but everyone BUY "SOLILOQUY" IMMEDIATELY!

6. jetforcex

jetforcex

Sep 23, 2003
    Tracklist?!?! This bad boy still isn't on CDBaby yet. Would that "growling monster" by any chance be "Helios"?

Thanks for the impressions! :hyper:

7. I went to the party last night and was immediatley blown away. First thing that happened, I ran into Joe Zon and Mark Gullo(?) and his son, Dominic(?). The three of them gave me my Zon Sonus Fretless 6. I was sitting there with my jaw hanging open, once I opened the gig bag. Then Michael came over and wanted to see it, all of this happening within 5 minutes of my arrival. Then, of course, Michael put on a great show! Thanks Michael, for the show Mary Jo & I had a great time! It was a great experience, never to be forgotten ...

Chip

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Great Show, Michael. Loving the CD.....

9. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Soliloquy tracklist:
    1. Helios
    2. Excuse Me, Mr. Manring
    3. Solipsism
    4. I Left America
    5. Greetings, Earthlings!
    6. Makes Perfect Sense to Me
    7. The Light Which Puts out Our Eyes
    8. A Morning Star (for Matt and Al)
    9. Selene (live)
    10. Dabuda's Memory
    11. When We Were Asleep in the Earth
    12. The Orffyreus Wheel
    13. Insomnia Lessons
    14. Come with Me, My Love

It's a very long CD!

Here are just some nascent impressions. Since there's no nomenclature to the different techniques that Michael does, I have trouble explaining different things.

The growling monster track is number 6. It turns into this squirming pointillistic piece. Interesting!

"I Left America" and "Come With Me, My Love" are the tear jerkers--really beautiful. The latter weaves lower and upper melodies, dove-tailing them, until your expectations of typical Manring-style solo bass melodicism is pretty smashed. You don't know what to follow, so you let down your analytical guard and listen without trying to interpret technique. In fact, despite the technical virtuosity, the album very much stands on its own as wonderful music. I've always thought that of Manring. He's one of the only players who, instead of wrestling the bass to create music, seem to divine the music from somewhere else and let it grace the fretboard.

"Helios" is a jaw-dropper--a percussive show-stopper. Very rhythmic. Manring is playing extra high notes against his pickups now, adding them into the fray of notes. Almost like snare rimshots or saxophone peeps.

"Excuse Me, Mr. Manring" is a little like "Monkey Businessman" in that it alternates between funky rhythms and melodic choruses. It's one of my favorites on the disk...very dynamic.

"Greetings, Earthlings" is a song that is propelled largely by the Manring-tapping style, but it gets really, really weird in the middle. It ends very diatonic and beautiful with lush harmonic chords, but the final chord is atonal and shocking.

When I first heard "Dabuda's Memory" I wasn't that affected, but now on repeated listenings, I'm really moved by it. The main rhythm reminds me of Hedges, it's really...I don't know...mystical ...sounding. It's mainly done through tapping. But it's so complex. It's sort of arranged in the way Bach would arrange a piece. I don't know why, but I make that connection.

"When We Were Asleep in the Earth" is a short piece where Michael beats on his bass and the strings sympathetically ring out. The transducers in his Hyperbass pick up the rhythm. It's...well...earthy. It reminds me of something kicking in hibernation. Maybe a baby's heartbeat and kicking in the womb.

"The Orffyreus Wheel" feels mysterious. Lots of tapping, but it slows down and is dynamic, too. This is one of my favorite pieces. There's a part where he Ebow's a melody while using the available fingers left to strum out a rhythm. It sounds amazing. This is a piece that I'll be studying for a long time. There is a lot of shifting tonality, keys are blurred, not as primitive as Wagner, but more subtle like Mahler. This is as fine a bass piece as you'll likely encounter.

"Insomnia Lessons" is a fretted piece done in standard tuning (I think). I love the contrast between the fretless and fretted pieces. This one has some crazy lower rhythms with complex chords strummed above; I don't know how he manages to do this with so little real estate available. Great song.

10. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Wow! What a great surprise! Other people got a CD...you got a bass!

How about some pics of it?

11. Widener

Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
  12. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    The bar has been raised. Substantially.

Killer show and CD Michael. Very moving work.

crawling back to practice. ;)

13. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That's a beautiful bass, Chip - lovely stuff.

Now, what was this new album thing again? Maybe I'll get to hear it one day... ;)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

14. Thanks for the compliment Steve!

Please forgive my blatant hijacking of this thread. :oops:

As far as the album goes it is very cool. It is a excellent listen. I am sure you will have it in your presence soon.

Chip

15. I've listened to the album through a few times, and it is a beautiful thing. Great compositions, very emotional. Thanks for showing everyone what can be done if someone is willing to commit to the bass without limits.

Now I'd like to see you be backed by a full orchestra! They're always backing violinists and pianists and so forth. Pshaw.

16. Great show Michael! I got some good pictures. I'll send you a CD-R. I'll post a few here when I get a chance.

It was a nice setup there at the Jazz School. I liked that little book store and cafe. I bought a few books and CD's too.

There were some problems with the sound. There wasn't enough high-end coming through the PA (at least, on the left side). It muddied up the tone somewhat. Still, the performance was excellent. You really pushed the edge of the envelope. Plus, doing two sets was really great! It was just as packed for the second set as the first.

The CD is simply amazing. That was a great idea giving them out at the show as part of the ticket. I've listened to it three times already and will probably give it a few more listens before taking it out of my CD player.

Sincerely,

Dave

17. I was wondering if you were there Dave. How'd you like the Bach?

The sound was occasionally too rich, making chords hard to distinguish. I think it was mostly on the Red bass. For the most part, tone/sound was great.

18. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I am so bummed i was unable to go, i had plans to watch ultimate fighter on PPV :bawl:

19. Hey Dave, i'm willing to see some pictures of the party.
    Congratulations for your achivement Mr. Manring.. I hope I get a copy some day. I NEED to hear it!