Cecil McBee

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Monte, Sep 5, 2010.

1. "First Song of the Day" is a fav of mine by Mcbee. Ill try and look up the band he's with on that one. Theres an old tune that he's a member too,.that i first hears eons ago on Eric in the Evening,.and its epic cool bass,.and im itching to find it.
    He's playing with some legendary cats,.and the line is a bit more riff based,.but soooo cool. Reminds me of a Chick Corea era sort of vibe. Im looking for suggestions on how to find that tune.
    Im about ready to call Eric himself :)

Monte likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

My first hearing of CM, (and KJ, and JD'J.)

David Barootian and vilshofen like this.
  3. Here are the two I mentioned earlier:

&

vilshofen and oliebrice like this.
  4. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    This thread deserves to be two miles long. My contribution:

5. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    OK, one more, maybe pump some air into this thread . . .

6. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    He was on the Jazz Cruise with the Cookers, I got to talk to him for a few minutes and he was very nice and very willing to talk about the bass and bass playing

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    dhm likes this.
  7. This popped up in my suggested on YT. Charles Lloyd quartet (CL, Keith,Cecil and Jack). Thought I would share.

dhm likes this.
  8. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Cecil could write, too....Song of Her is his composition.
    Anybody want to take a shot (with me) at the Harmony, here? Such a beautifully constructed tune and bassline ( - esp. in the first 5 bars of the A section - stacked, descending, Perfect Fifths in a kind of Ostinato figure...in a "not very comfortable region of the neck..." IMFO.)
    This song was a local DJ's background tune for a late-nite jazz (radio) show when I was a young punk. FYI.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  9. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Here’s a Cecil tune I’ve always liked since I got this record in 1981

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021