Cecil McBee

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Monte, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I really dig Cecil's playing.....what are some of your favorites of his?

I posted in Recordings about the new record he is on. I also really dig "Unspoken" under his name with David Berkman and Matt Wilson as his rhythm section from 1997.

2. Sonny Simmons' "Burning Spirits", Cecil McBee AND Richard Davis.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I need to check this out.....can't find it on iTunes I'll have to find a cd somewhere.

I was just listening to Sonny Simmons....picked up Manhattan Egos the other day and really dig Eddie Marshall on it.

4. I have that one too. I downloaded them both from Rhapsody.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    His solo record "Unspoken" Is pretty badass. Matt Wilson on drums. They make a pretty awesome pair.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    One of my all time favorite bassists and a huge influence on me. I learned how to play by hearing him with Sonny Rollins. Five nights in a row, sat in the front and stayed all night at the Jazz Showcase in '73, or so. All eyes and ears on Cecil and the way he played. Sonny was in peak form, and it was an amazing week.

Check out Sam Rivers' "Streams" with Cecil and Norman Conners.

7. Music Inc. Live at Slugs, Vols 1 and 2. With Charles Tolliver, Stanley Cowell and Jimmy Hopps.

Banyana--Children of Africa. Dollar Brand (now Abdullah Ibrahim) trio, with Roy Brooks.

Desert Island material.

8. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Monte - I would never have figured you for a Cecil McBee guy. Life is full of surprises. ;)

My favorite Cecil McBee is his clothing for young girls:
    http://www.cecilmcbee.jp/

Brent

9. :D

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yowzah - great design sense! :D

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Two Faves:
    McCoy Tyner, 4x4 in which Mr. Tyner, Mr. McBee and Al Foster are joined for quartet pieces by John Abercrombie, Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson and Arthur Blythe. Mmm mmm mmm!

Chico Freeman, Destiny's Dance also with Mr. Hutcherson and featuring 20-year-old Wynton Marsalis absolutely ripping down the building. I've never heard a WM record I like better than this one. Six downloads could not be better spent.

Cecil spoke at length about that when I studied with him briefly a few years ago. These folks pirated his name and even the type-font of an early-70s album. He was shocked, but (not to speak for him) pretty much figured, "Heck, it's Japan, I'll deal with this some other time." Later he sued to stop the piracy and the court pretty much held, "Too late, man."

Bottom line for me is, "Intellectual property presents both a right, and the obligation to enforce that right." If you don't act quickly to protect your right you lose it. Bottom line for Mr. McBee is something else entirely. Yuck!

12. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Jun 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Pharoah Sanders' album Thembi. Cecil McBee unaccompanied pizz and arco on the track 'Love'.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  13. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    Jackie McLean's "It's time!"
    Cecil plays wonderful, and the other too. Roy Haynes is amazing.

14. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
  15. Horace Tapscott's "The Dark Tree" is a must own. His playing on the Joe Maneri Quartet's "Dahabenzapple" is weirder than almost anything in an awesome way.

16. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    +1, +2, +3

Also, Kenny Barron's "What If?" (hard to find, but it's on emusic I think). And don't forget Charles Lloyd! Forest Flower--Live at Monterey--with Keith Jarrett and Jack Dejohnette.

I studied with Cecil at NEC back in the late '90s, and the stuff he gave me has, I don't know how else to say it, nourished me ever since.

17. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Andrew Hill - compulsion!!!!!

18. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    That line of clothing made it here to Hong Kong too. Often see his name on tee-shirts worn by super-cute girls here. I remember the first time I saw a girl wearing one it was kind of a "say what?"/ "Lost In Translation" sort of moment!

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    One of my all time Fav's. I named my dog Thembi.

20. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Reviving an old thread, but I just got Sam Rivers' Involution on vinyl, and McBee's playing with the sextet is excellent. Highly recommended.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021