1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cello end pin on my DB....

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Townsider, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Townsider

Townsider

Aug 13, 2018
    Howdy Folks,
    My DB is a plywood no name, no markings of any kind, put through hell and back beast of a tree to play. After many years of abuse I indeed need to replace the end-pin kit and kaboodle. So after buying the "wrong" end-pin. I've discovered that I have a cello end-pin in my DB. The cone and pin the bass came with many years ago is matched to the hole. In my ignorance I assumed this to be the standard correct size and ordered another entire bass end-pin assembly online. Upon attempted replacement I discovered the replacement to be much bigger diameter than the one I have. Upon further measurement and research I discovered the diameter of the one I have to be exactly the same as a cello end-pin.
    Is this common? I'm assuming as this one held up for the last 15 years that another cello cone/pin would do fine. I will need the cone to hold the tailpiece wire again, but I'd be okay if the shaft were adjustable or removable as I gig with it a lot. Any recommendations of purveyors or makers of hearty cello end-pins? TIY

Max George likes this.
  2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    What's wrong with your current one? If it's just the screw there's an easy fix. You could use a cello socket and pin if you don't keep it out very far. Extend too much and you'll get unwanted bounce. You'd want to cut it down too, as the part inside the bass will vibrate if too long. As far as recommendations, it helps to know what country you're in.

3. Townsider

Townsider

Aug 13, 2018
    I'm in the US. The wood of the cone is fine. The screw and metal ring have come off in transit, the threads at the end have been stripped clean. Ideally I need a new ring/screw and ideally a new adjustable rod are needed. I'm not sure I can get just a new ring and screw that would fit this cone specific, throw in a new rod and I feel like I might as well just get a whole new package. That's where I'm at currently. Thanks for the feedback.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    There are bass end-block reamers available for making the hole the "right size", if your bass has a sufficiently sized end-block. The reamers aren't cheap but they do the job pretty close to exactly.... Although from what I've read this "right size" can be found to be different on different makes and ages of double basses.

Might want to have a visit with a luthier about this project??? It would be interesting to know why this particular bass has a cello endpin installed before starting the job to replace it.

5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Even if you buy a new cello assembly you will probably have to get it fitted, as they aren't all the exact same size. If the socket is good and fits well, then you can have someone drill and tap a new hole somewhere else on the collar. A bike shop, non-big box hardware store, or auto mechanic. The replacement screw can be had at a hardware store, but for a really good one I'd suggest an Iron Wing-Head Thumb Screw from McMaster.com. You can easily get a notched replacement pin, you just have to know what diameter you need.