1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CGDA books?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Daniiel89, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Daniiel89

Daniiel89

Aug 11, 2008
    Are there books that are specially made for CGDA basses, or do I have to use cello books?

Thanks,

Daniel

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Daniel

I've never seen any bass books for cello tuning - and only I think one or two articles in bass player that discussed cello tuning since 1990. I think you're stuck with cello literature.

Though that might make a good post: what are good pieces of cello music to play on the bass?

Any thoughts?

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I hereby declare this thread bumped, as I am dabbling with CGDA tuning and would like to know some good pieces of cello music to play on the bass.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I learned cello from the Dotzauer books. I'm not certain that the cello fingering system works on the bass, so it might help to use cello specific books. You'll have to come up with your own fingering system. Thus, a book on walking bass or bass improv might just do the trick.

5. MHT75

MHT75 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Richmond,BC
  6. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    I'm dabbling in CGDA too, so I've been thinking about this as well.
    Cello stuff is probably your best bet, unless you want to transpose bass pieces or something.
    In any case, CDGA-tuned bass posesses the range of EADG, plus extra low and high notes, so you can just play regular bass pieces on it too!

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Yeah, but I'm finding it hard to let go of the old fingering patterns, you know? But I guess that'll come with time.

By the way, it was your sig I saw a few days ago that made me decide to try it :smug:

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    +1 on Dotzauer: Jaco used to use them to teach reading and they get wicked hard fairly quickly.
    I'd get a copy of the Bach Cello Suites (cello edition). They'll sound a little muddy that low but if you take everything 8va (cello register) they're quite pretty, especially the chordal ones.
    The bassist for the French Prog-Rock band Magma used this tuning. Odd bunch-one record I have has lyrics in their own invented language (Klingon Rock and Roll, maybe?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma_(band)

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Learn to play notes and not just fret positions. Then when you play a D you are playing a D. The notes do not change, the frequency does not change. The only thing that changes is the place you play it on the fretboard and that depends on the tuning. If someone tells you play a D you need to know where the D is and how to play the root, octave, third, fifth, and all the other notes reguardless of the tuning you are in.