1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chaining Two Ampeg SVT Micro-VR Stacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by officespace2, May 19, 2011.

1. So I am in love with the new SVT Micro-VR stack but I can't imagine it could hang in with a full band playing, even with the extension cab. To compensate, I'm thinking about buying 2. =) That would be two heads and two cabs. Before I do this, I gots me some questions. Riddle me this:

1) Would two SVT Micro-VR Stacks hold up with an average funk/r&b band on stage?

2) How the heck would I chain these cabs together? The rear schematic from Ampeg looks like this:

attachment.

How would I chain off of this?

3) Should I buy 3? =) Once I'm up to 4, I'll just bring out my '73 Blackline and 810 cab.

Attached Files:

• rear.
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  2. I dont want to give bad info but dont you slave one by running out of the send to the input of the second amp?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just get a 4x10 to go with it and it'll be plenty loud.

4. shannons

shannons

May 29, 2007
    W. Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist: Ampeg
    ABY pedal?

telecopy likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, aby pedal. or even a simple y cable like you get at radio shack will do the trick. or pf500 instead of the micro vr ;)

telecopy likes this.
  6. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Effects send from amp 1 to effects return on amp 2?

-JV

7. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I was thinking the same thing, basically to have enough juice (and I've had some bad experience with class d - so I'm avoiding the portaflex stuff, as tempting as it is!)

8. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
    +1 on the PF500 and two svt-210av cabs.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    class d is a solid technology at this point. it's been around close to 30 years. and any amp can break.

10. onestone

onestone

Jan 18, 2013
    Has anyone here actually tried this? How did you connect and how did it work/sound?

11. T-fonk

T-fonk

May 5, 2014
    Yes! This is a killer rig. Far better than a pf-500 to the two 210av's. I've tried it. And better than using one head with the two cabs. Efx send to Efx return on the other head. Perfect gain match, and the second head becomes a slave, with only the master volume working. So gain and eq is set by nr1 amp. And is followed by nr2. Punchy as hell. Wonderful x2! :)

Attached Files:

highboltage55, tombowlus and Tbone76 like this.
  12. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    It all depends on your band. I've never had a problem with my Micro VR being heard, with one or two cabs.

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    to me, getting that second cab on top of the first is pretty important, and makes a big difference ... much preferred over side by side on the ground ... JMHO

14. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    These are cool I've wanted to get one for home to jam, I think I little stonehenge in front would look cool, really!

15. T-fonk

T-fonk

May 5, 2014
    Ok. Sometimes I'll stack them, but mostly I have them side by side. It's more stable and it gives more bottom to the overall sound.

16. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I would ABY switch with one amp set deep and clear, other amp with treble and grit. My plan for two G-K heads and two cabs.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How about a PF800 then?

PF800RigMay2014_zpscf3a31c4.

Or maybe a V4B?

V4b1stGig_zps4aa6623d.

I don't care if it looks odd or not...you gotta give it up for the V4B ;)

T-fonk likes this.
  18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    V4B and 2 210AVs is my current fave rave. Puts a huge smile on my face every time I plug in.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. T-fonk

T-fonk

May 5, 2014
    I would love to try the V4 with those cabs! :) The pf 500 was fine, power-wise, but I think the tone, character and response wasn't as fine as the micro. I think the pf 350 would be better for my taste, but by chaining two micro's I think is the best option. Lots of clean push, still easy to transport and carry. :)

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Just wanted to bump this thread, this looks really interesting to try out. Timmy C is one of my favorite players, and he runs iirc 3 SVT heads with one channel clean, one dirty, and one semi-dirty. Or maybe it's two, one clean, one dirty. Would running two heads, each into their own 210 only provide around 300 watts ( obviously not the full load ohm/watts available).

I currently have a PF-500 and two of the 210AVs with a newly purchased Micro VR on the way. I could always entertain the idea of letting the PF500 go for another Micro VR and try chaining, but I am well aware of the differences between the Amps ( class D vs. MOSFET, 500 watts vs 200, etc.). As of right now I'm just going to hang onto the PF500 for jams, and use the micro for more recording/practice