1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

changes to make

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Not really sure where I should put this. (sorry!:bag:)

So since I descided to keep my first bass, I want to make some major changes to it and I have some questions.

Now this isn't the exact same bass but close to it, http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

Mine doesn't have the extra pickup in the back and only two knobs.

So, to the point...

First I want to tune it like a cello, C-G-D-A and was wondering which gauge string to use for the high A.

2. I want to strip off the sparkly silver paint, how would I go about doing so? I know theres a thread around here somewhere. So if you want, just tell me what to search.

3. I want to add that third pickup like the one in the link. Not that same brand but same type. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. To translate for the rest of us, he wants:
    - To know the proper string-gauge for tuning to Cello standard tuning.
    - To refinish his Bass.
    - To rout for a J pickup.

3. For the tuning- new nut probably and I'd use a med. gauge 5 string set and toss the 'G' and tune accordingly.
    Then get some Citristrip stripper and that will take off the finish. what you use next to finish it is up to you.
    To route for a J, try and find a nice used plunge router or rent one.