Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Changing a bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blakwatch, Oct 20, 2004.

1. blakwatch

blakwatch

Oct 13, 2004
    New Brunswick
    Howdy,
    I am about to get into changing the bridge on an old bass I have kicking around to try to breathe some life into it. It has just a factory bridge in it that doesn't allow much sustain, but the bass is neck-through and I think it could sound pretty good with a little tweaking.

My questions are:

1-It is a simple 4 string ash body neck through design, what bridge would y'all suggest I get? Right now is has a pretty beefy (ugly) bridge. I was thinking a Badass II since it has the standard Fender 5 screw pattern...

2-What do I have to look out for as far as intonation goes etc...? If i just swap bridges, do I take a chance? :meh:

Cheers.

2. I'd go w/ a badass bridge. It has enough room for adjustment that intonation wouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure scale length is based on the distance from the back of the bridge(or where the string is held into place)and the nut. Just measure and make sure that the distance is the same. If scale length is based on saddle to nut you have about 2" to work with. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is the present bridge cast metal or just a bent piece of steel like a traditional Fender bridge? If it's cast, going to a B/A bridge probably won't make much difference.

If you do it, and the intonation is correct on the bass right now, measure (and write down) the measurements from the middle of the 12th fret to the front edge of the contact point on the bridge for each string. Once the swap is made, adjust the new bridge so that the measurements are the same.

When you put new strings on the bass, you'll need to check the intonation anyway, but at least you'll be close from the start.