1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

changing direction--to synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Jan 20, 2012.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    For months my plan has been to get the MXR envelope filter and then the MXR octaver. I like them both separately and I like the way they get kind of synthy when used in combination

MXR Bass Envelope Filter Pedal - YouTube

However, I'm starting to reconsider the whole strategy.

It seems likely that in my current band, the thing I need most is that synthy effect that is kind of a "bonus afterthought" with these two pedals. Why not just get a synth pedal?

Should I sell my beautiful EV and forget about getting the octaver and instead get me..., I dunno.. the

The Boss SYB-5?
    SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer [BOSS Sound Check] - YouTube

God help me, even the Behringer sounds pretty cool
    Behringer RSM guitar FX pedals review - BSY600 Bass Synthesizer - YouTube

2. Both of those pedals get love and hate and there are others in the realm Ibanez SB7, Digitech Bass Synth Wah and EHX Bass Micro Synth, Mark Bass Synth.......

3. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Hm. The Ibanez doesn't sound good to me (finding stuff on youtube and listening with good headphones). I've seen the Digitech Bass Synth Wah before and it's pretty cool. But there's only one demo vid that intrigues me--some kid playing Michael Jackson's P.Y.T. Not sure I want to buy a pedal based on that alone. THe Markbass seems cool, but not all that much cooler than the Boss. And for a lot more money and a lot more board space. I want a pedal-sized pedal, not the dashboard of the space shuttle. And I want to be able to grab on the cheap, subsidizing it with the sale of my venerable MXR EV. (If I decide to do this.)

Other thoughts?

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Form what I've seen, and although it's not exactly cheap nor pedal-sized, the EHX Bass Micro Synth seems to be the most loved synth pedal around here, Scott.

5. Get a fuzz pedal. Most synth pedals are just different combinations of octave fuzz and filter. This way you can have all the effects on individually or all at once

6. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Hey, that is pretty cool.

EHXmov - YouTube

I see one at GC for $150 used and I guess that's ok. The larger worry is the size...

7. Use a real synthesizer.

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    No.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's what I was going to ask before you modified your post. It's almost $300 new. BTW, that's the synth pedal I plan to buy when the time comes. The only extra thing I'd like it to have is preset storing, but only digital units can do that.

10. You should keep the BEF, get the BOD, the Micro Synth(or SYB-5 etc) and a gated fuzz. I have the Boss SYB-5 and I like it but it sounds completely different than my OC-2 into a filter or fuzz then filter. Plus there may be times when you want to just use an octave effect, envelope or fuzz independently.

11. The answer to your question hinges on what type of synth sound you're going for. The Micro Synth and the fuzz+filter combos are more of a 70's moog-ish stevie wonder synth sound, whereas the Boss/Behringer synths make more of a modern pop/techno synth sound. They're VERY different tones from each other. I go more for the latter sound, and I actually found that I liked the Behringer more than the Boss. Although I do also have a Micro Synth, for when I need those huge Moogy sweeps.

12. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    I was looking for a "stevie" synth sound and saw the recommendations for octab => fuzz => synth. I got an MXR for the octave and run it through my Stomp Under Foot Civil War and 3Leaf GR2. It really does a pretty good job, and I only had to add one pedal to the board. :cool:

I tried the Micro Synth and it was great, but definitely takes up too much pedalboard real estate.

13. Prunes and Custard into envelope, oh yeah, that's a synth tone I like. Or Octave into the both. Same with plain old mild distortion in place of P & C but less fruity.

I tried SYB-5, too much of too much, everything seemed harsh to me so I sold it. I'm going to try SYB-3 at some stage as I hear it's analog.

14. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm also more toward that pop/techno sound.

One option that I might do is.. not sell anything and just buy the Behringer out of pocket, see how these new sounds sit with me and the group I'm in. Then if I like it--and I'm wanting more than the Behringer can give--I can sell it and the EV and go Boss.

15. got a soundbite for the holy grail you want?

16. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Well, not really. I have some music with sounds I really like. Want some examples? I'm not entirely sure they're the exact same ones I might end up using in my group. But I know what my choice is between "70s Moog" and "pop/electronic."

17. I use a EHX BMS for classic analog tones and a Zoom B2 for more digital sounds and effects, makes for a nice compact versatile synth board.

18. youtube will be fine! I have all the different flavours filed under "Synth" so I was looking to see what you class as pop/techno, and if I can get that from my set of pedals I'll let you know.

19. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
  20. OK, but I've endless postings about bass players trying to sound like a synthesizer. By which the vendors of course tap into this desire and build all kinds of wacko pedals that they claim sound like a real bass synth. Which is not the case.