1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

changing from Helicore Orchestral ,choices!!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Basscat125, Oct 3, 2013.

which strings arco and jazz

Poll closed Jan 11, 2014.
  1. presto Jazzicato

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. presto Jazziacto tungsten

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. presto hybrid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. spirocore weich

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  5. evah weich

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. evah meds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. innovation honey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    Hey guys,
    Im changing from helicore Ochestral as i want more of a sustain and better pizz tone on my bass.
    Right now my choices are:
    Presto Jazzicato
    Presto hybrid
    Presto Jazzicato(tungsten)
    Spirocore Weich
    Evah weich or meds.
    Innovation Honeys
    Please when voting on the pole if you could give a personal experience and reason why you think the strings are best!
    I play mostly jazz and this is what im going to be doing in college.
    However right now I do play a considerable amount of arco( im in the N.Y.O.I..
    I am also playing on a Shen SB200. hopefully this gives you an idea of tonality etc..
    thanks for all comments,
    Conor

2. With arco too:
    - Innovation Braided (better than Honeys arco and not bad for pizz)
    - Evah Weich (often a bit dark amplified)
    - Spirocore Weich (4/4 S42W if you want a bit less tension)
    - Presto Balance Hybrid (Medium or Light, depends on your scale and tension taste)
    - Innovation Honeys (they have a medium dark pizz tone with a lot of attack and no highs, more old school sound, not my taste for a bit more modern stuff, not as good bowed as the Braided but a bit better than most Spiros)

The synthetic wound strings could be bowed for a few long notes but are not good for a considerable amount of arco.

The synthetic core strings (Innovation, Evah) are nicer to pizz than most steel core ones, but can (!) give up a bit earlier with a heavy pizzicato (a bit limited dynamics), the Spiros might have a bit more tension (specially the 3/4 3886.0W) and bow less good but have a good pizz sound after they are played in (can take several months depending how much you play them).
    The Presto Balance Hybrid are a allround string, good for arco too but the pizz might be similar to the D'Addario Hybrids (and better than the D'Addario Orchestrals you have used).

I would avoid the synthetic wound strings and probably also the Honeys and select one of the first four strings mentioned at the beginning of my posting.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I would say that you should get the Spirocores. I say this for a few reasons. 1. They last a really long time so you wont have to change strings every year (one of my friends plays Zyex and has to do that). 2. They are really easy to use and dont require much keep up other than wiping them down after you play (to make them last longer). I find that the piz tone is awesome and the more I practice with the bow the better they sound (only been using it seriously for a few months).

4. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    spiros:

- best low string on the market, IMO
    - cost-effective: long lasting, low maintenance
    - pizz great
    - bow great

I'm a classical player, and spiro E strings are all I can recommend anymore. they bow well if your technique is up to snuff, are LOUD, and carry very well because of a great fundamental.

I do spiro on the bottom, dominants on top, but lots of people use bel cantos on top, or permanents. Evahs might be interesting, idunno.