1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Channel Mute ? on XR-18

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by musicman7722, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I find if I mute a channel or assign it to a mute group it mutes it in the monitor bus as well. I didn't have that issue on my DL1608 I could mute both places or just the front mute. Is this feature on this board someplace?

For my master setups I am using a PC based laptop.

TY

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    our soundguy does a trick where you set up either subgroups or DCAs (not sure which) and he can mute them out front while still leaving channels open for monitor checks. again, not sure how it works myself, i'm just the bass player.

jimfist likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    If that's the case with your DL1608, I would not want to use that mixer. If I mute a channel, I want it muted EVERYWHERE. A loud BAND from connecting an input to the channel is just as annoying in the monitors as it is in the mains. I'm just asking to further understand, but why do you have the need to mute the input channel to the mains, but NOT the monitors? Peavey made a garbage el cheapo mixer many years ago with auxes being pre-mute. After three events in a small PAC with that mixer, I refused to use it for that very reason (among many others, but that was first and foremost)

What Walter is pointing to is the ability to mute a sub-group or a DCA separately from there input channels. In the case of the XR-18 and now the X32 rack (and on any mixer I use), I have 3 mute groups set up. The first is all inputs (except playback, of course). The second mutes just the mains (L&R), NOT the input channels and monitor buses (don't use this one much, except to check and/or troubleshoot monitors). The third mutes mains and the monitor buses, but allows me to cue up and listen to an input channel in the phones if need be (and I'm not sure this is necessary, but I haven't stopped long enough to see if the input channel cues are pre-mute or post-mute. Did I say that right?? Oh, well...)

Your XR-18 should be able to accommodate any muting arrangement you find necessary.

Grumry likes this.
  4. I am going to try that with a DCA

5. Geri-O

Thank you for the reply. My band uses all IEM so no wedges to worry about. I want the band to still have access their their IEM mix during brakes to adjust things. Our drummer esp. as he uses VDrums.

Thank you

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the DL 1608 can totally be set that way, as well as to where mains are muted but not monitors.

musicman7722 likes this.
  7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Then mute the mains !!
    Will leave everything else working.

jon mccumber and Geri O like this.
  8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the issue my guy is dealing with is keeping the break music happening, so muting the mains is out.

the idea is to have all the channels live in our in-ears and break music coming out in FOH but no noise from any of us. that's the reason he's using some sort of group/DCA trick.

9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    OK.. makes sense, and muting the mains won't work there..
    Not sure if there's a way around that even with DCA groups.. as default routing [even with DCA] is still going to L/R/C

10. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Assign the playback channels to its own DCA, mute the other DCAs and leave the playback DCA out of the mute group?

s0c9 likes this.
  11. I will look at that too

12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I know for sure that will work and let everything else remain working. we do that now.
    However in @walterw 's case (music playback), muting the mains will also kill the background musak!
    But I like @Geri O 's suggestion.. will have to try it..