Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Channels for a compressor?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What are you going to do with it? I use a dbx 1066 stereo unit in my PA rack, using one side for mains and one side for monitors. Works fine. If you want to individually compress several different inputs (like vocals) then maybe the dbx 1046 4-channel is for you. Otherwise, if you're just going to put it in your bass rack, a mono unit like the dbx 160 (160A, 160X, etc.) series would be perfect.

3. in all reality the best setup for a bassist would be a 1 or 2 channel compressor. I have tried and RETURNED TWICE a dbx 266xl because there was a strange "rippling" effect when I played the open E string. I reccommend the Alesis 3630. It is 50 dollars less and sounds great.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so wait, i shouldn't get the 266XL?
    any reccomendations then? i hear good things about dbx, and i wanted a high end model.
    thanks!

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i'll check into the alesis, any more?

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Behringer MDX2200 or MDX 2600XL, costs the same
    as the Alesis, but has much better reviews.

I've use a MDX 2200 for years and it's great
    for a bass stage rig.

Besides, doesn't the Alesis use a Wall Wart?

LAME.

7. Granted, the alesis does use a wall wart, but anyone that i have asked about the Alesis VS. any Behringer ALWAYS tells me that the Alesis is MUCH BETTER.

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Funny, I've found that those who've actually owned
    both units, pick the Behringer hands-down.

"I was reading the new Recording Magazine. There's an article with Obie O'Brian, the engineer who works work Bon Jovi. He's talking about the gear he uses, naming off the standards, LA-3A, 1176, Pultec, etc, and then goes on to say:
    "I also really like these inexpensive stereo Behringer compressors that I have. They have a unique sound; I use them all the time..."

"drawmer compressors are very expensive because they are very good. the behringer composer, however, is supposed to be pretty close in quality, while being vastly less expensive. the alesis 3630 is much cheaper and not very good-sounding at all."

I totally agree with Knud. I have owned both the Alesis 3630 and the Behringer Composer. The Alesis 3630, sure has lots of knobs and lights on
    it, but it sounds like utter crap because it pumps and breathes like hell and has a very rough sounding noise gate. The Behringer Composer is a bit better sounding overall and has a smoother noise gate.

>Which is better? Behringer MDX or Alesis 3630?
    The Alesis is slightly cheaper and has an extra gate
    >control otherwise identical features. Any comments?? Or any better
    >compressors for around the same price??

Avoid the 3630 at all costs.

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Behringer has more features , RNC has better sound. My 2c Completely forget about the Alesis
    by the way.
    Steve L

I have had the Alesis and now have the Composer pro and the Composer Pro beats the livin daylights out of the alesis. The alesis is a piece of crap. The RNC is nice but it doesn't have peak limiting or gating so if you want those features go with the Behringer.

Yep, I couldn't have said this better.
    I also own both:: go for the Behringer !

Justin I once had an alesis 3630 compressor. I now have a Behringer Composer pro. It is so much better than the Alesis. For about the same price. I assume the nano-compressor is no better that the 3630. A true piece of crap. A lot of people on here tout the RNC which is a very good device for the money. But it does'nt have some of the control parameters of the Behringer stuff.

I have a Behringer Composer, and after comparing it to my brother's Alesis 3630, I must say that the Behringer smoked it. The Composer
    is more transparent, has a seperate limiter that can be used with the compression, unlike the 3630 where you have to choose between compression or limiting. The auto button is awesome as it takes care of the attack and release controls while you simply control the ratio and threshold controls, which makes things much easier and much faster.
    Also the downward expander is a much smoother way of controlling noise and hiss then the 3630's noise gate which chops off notes and decays.
    The Composer's downward expander slowly and smoothly fades the noise out much the same way as Rocktron's Hush noise reduction system.
    But my favorite thing about it is its ability to control massive, bass heavy, high gain, miced guitar amp sounds very easily. It'll really
    smooth out the distortion sound kinda like a good tube preamp will do, but it doesnt warm up the sound. This is the only low end compressor
    limiter that I've been able to do this with. But with that said, for most purposes the Alesis 3630 is still a pretty darn good compressor,
    especially if you have the ear and patience to play with the settings.

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    For mono compression tasks I found the Behringer to do a fair job. Can't comment on the Alesis since I've never used it, but you'll find plenty of complaints about it in these newsgroups.

>Does anyone have any opinions about the Alesis >3630 or the Behringer Autocom MDX 1200? Both are >comparable in price and in my budget range, so I >was looking for some advice on which one was >better for the money.

For just a little more, you can get the Behringer Composer (MDX-2100) which I like much better than the 3630. I haven't tried the Autocom.

I have owned the 3630 and still own the Behringer Composer. That should tell you something right there. The 3630 starts distorting earlier when a hot level is fed into it. That's why I hot rid of it.

So once I got the hang of that I decided I needed a compressor, and unfortunately got an Alesis 3630 due to the great experience with the Q2. Some people love the 3630, but I was glad to get rid of it because I felt it colored the sound, which is the last thing you want in a dynamics processor (I replaced it with a Behringer Composer, which is designed a million times better, sounds transparent, has an expander and a true peak limiter, and costs about the same as the 3630).

I like the Behringer better - It sound better to me than the 3630.
    My friend has a 3630 and later got a Behringer which he now uses on most everything needing compression. He now uses the 3630 primarily as a gain stage between his -10 board and ADAT.

I have a 3630, and I have a Behringer. At first I had no bias. Now I will not use the Alesis if I don't have to, except to get a jangly sound on
    acoustic gtrs.

Sincerely,
    Troy

I have found this on bass heavy material too and stopped using the 3630 a couple of years ago. I still think it's an ok comp for the money but the Behriger Composser is far better for not much more. Balanced ins/outs (as well as jacks), the gate on it actually works well (unlike the 3630) and it has become somewhat of a pro_live "industry standard".

Mark Payne
    Sound Foundation.
    Sound and Lighting Production.
    Equipment Hire, Sales and Touring.