Charlie hunter

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by willgroove2, Jul 23, 2005.

1. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    hey guy's i caught the charlie hunter trio at the green mill in chicago on fri night.charlie play's a 8 string guitar/bass, i think it's a novex it has faned frets.i only caught the first set because i had a late night session but i have several of his records and a dvd so im familar with his music but watching him play funkey swinging bass lines while blowing hip solos at the same time always knocks me out.he had john ellis on sax,keys,bass claranet and harmonium and derrick phillips on drums,both of those guys are great in their own right and they had a great group sound,they were really enjoying each others playing and it was fun to cap it off the doorman collecting the cover told everybody who came in "there is NO talking while the music is being played,if you talk you will be asked to leave"(the green mill is known in chicago as a great jazz club where it's hard to hear the music over the yapping yuppys)they also had a no smoking in the front of the club near the band stand rule in effect that was really cool.
  2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I saw that show at the Green Mill two summers ago while I was staying there with a friend. Thats the perfect venue for Jazz IMO. Very intimate. I remember being close enough to Charlie that he gave me a "Did you hear that **** I just played" grin more than once.
  3. charlie hunter blows my mind...he is really good!
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've got an old live disc where he's playing solo. He rips up Fables of Faubus - it was back when the 'bass side' of his axe was fretless. Great stuff. You should see him solo on the pandeiro :bassist:
  5. I'm not sure what 'pandeiro' is, but if you've never seen Charlie play the tambourine, you are missing something! I never thought someone could get my attention like that playing the tambourine.
  6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    A Pandiero is a giant brazilian tambourine, mostly used in samba groups.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Charlie is one of the greats... I've seen hm a bunch in different group arrangements. Always mindblowing.