1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Charts for big band standards

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by bssist, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Hello,

I've been working for years (primarily bg, more db lately) completely by ear in bands where my approach, feel, and sound were unique enough to get me the gig. In two weeks I am auditioning for a 20+ piece big band and I have not read dots in over 20 years. Can anyone point me to big band charts I can get so that I can start to re-acquaint my eyes and ears on some of those tunes before I walk in?

Stuff like: In The Mood, Sing, Sing, Sing, Pensylvania 6-5000, Little Brown Jug, etc.

Thanks

2. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Preferably bass charts. I have a handful of "fake books" (Jazz Fakebook, Just Jazz Real Book, Worlds Greatest Fake Book...) I was surprised to not find what I figured were big band "jazz" standards such as those listed above. I have also done a little looking online and have not found much freely available. There seems to be tab available but that would require much more work for me to translate "on the fly".

Thanks

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    bssist is right, big-band charts are unique. They contain both dots and chord symbols in varying mixtures, plus some slash notation.

I know of one publisher -- Sierra Music. But I doubt that they will sell just the bass parts. You might ask them. I'll bet they could sell a book containing a dozen or so parts, if they made it available, for just the purpose that you're interested in.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have met a few Jazz pros (as teachers) who have done big band charts, but they are very "protective" of them.

I think there are two reasons - firstly it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with something like this, that doesn't sound "samey"...?

Secondly, these guys are not making much money out of music and so they see these kinds of thing as a lifeline in terms of income?

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bssist, please PM me your email address. I may be able to help.