1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap amps used that I can gig with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HawldieMPB, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Hey so I may be joining a new group (for really the first time in 10 years) and I may need an amp I can gig clubs with very soon. I'm looking used and cheap. Like less than $300 and ideally less than $200. Any suggestions? I don't need a ton of headroom as I like to drive my amps a bit. Thanks!!

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    GK 400RB's go for $175-$250 and if you find a good deal you can get a GK 800RB for $300.

I like the 400RB II better as its smaller than the 800RB and still loud

3. Amp and cab combo, or just amp? Can't go past a used Peavey combo for giggable combo cheap.

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    yeah. Just get some Peavey stuff from the eighties.
    Cheap, sounding ok and tough.
    I still have an old peavey top from '82 that has seen a fair share of use and abuse, spent two winters in a sub zero attic, gathered about a ton of dust, was covered in sawdust once, nearly drowned on another occasion and was heavily gigged, chipped and thrown around before i bought it in '95.
    But one thing that never happened was that it stopped working.
    I once read somewhere here on the board that after the nucelar holocaust, the ones of us that survived will crawl out of their shelters and play on peaveys - the only amps nbound to survive even that.

5. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Another peavey vote here.

6. miketallica315

miketallica315 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    GK vote here. I love mine.

7. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    GK and Peavey, you will love them both.

There is a lot of good and much newer Hartke stuff on the market. I recommend the LH 500. Just keep your eyes wide open. You will find something.

8. Used GK head and Avatar cab.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Peavey, Carvin.

10. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    don't know if you have a lot of them there. But our peavey equivalent on this side of the pond for sturdiness and reliability are warwicks.
    My profet 5.2 once fell from an 810 on a concrete floor and kept working like a charm. only chipped a bit of paint

11. This

12. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    pf 500

:bag:

13. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Peavey....on their own they don't sound great but live they cut through extremely well. And don't worry about the wattage the old tko (75 watts) an TNT (150 watts?) are very very loud. Oh and as others have said you really can't break them.

Another choice is an older Fender combo. For pretty much the same reasons as Peavey.

14. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On

Bahahahahahahah!!

15. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    Just seems that you haven't heard peavey amps for a longer time... :bassist:

lots of people like the older amps, like a Mark III or Mark IV. This amps are fine if you like some kind of vintage sound.

I still use my good old reliable TMax besides a GenzBenz GBE 1200 and an Ampeg SVP Pro + poweramp, and there is no need to replace the Peavey. It sounds really similar to Ampeg solid state stuff, and even better when the pramp tube is driven hard.

I use three stacks because I play in three bands, and I use the same cab with every amp. So I have three identical Tecamp L 810 cabs. I can't tell you which amp sounds the best, because I love the sound of every amp.

16. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    In my experience, old Peavey's (I still regret selling my TNT) are the best for durability and reliability. Not the best for sound, but it's a matter of individual taste.
    My GK 150 combo still works fine after almost 20 years, but it's not a high-power amp (I use it for small jazz gigs, mostly with double bass), The new GK combos (NOT the Backline serie!) seem to me very interesting, If you find a used one could be a bargain.

17. Another vote for Peavey. Sounds OK and virtually indestructable. Recently sold a Mark6 head and 4 10 cab for $300. (a moment of great stupidity that I am still regretting)

18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Both Peavey and GK are really good, but I'd cast my vote for GK...just based on tone and personal preference regarding it.

19. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The Hartke LH 500 is a good choice. I gig with my Eden most of the time,but The Hartke is really loud,and easy to use. It's pretty much a plug and play amp.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    No matter which amp you end up purchasing, be sure and tilt it back at gigs so the sound is going directly to your ears to avoid low stage volume/blasting FOH volume.

Good luck with your band. :)