1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap but kinda beat up Warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrFoster, Oct 31, 2013.

1. MrFoster

MrFoster

Oct 31, 2013
    So I got myself my first bass in the mail yesterday!
    Crazy fun playing a 5 string, but I noticed a couple problems-

[​IMG]

I got it for 300 AUD. Perfect for a first bass, I say
    I've had previous experience with guitars, been playing the electric for nearly 4 years now so some things are sticking out like a sore thumb.

The action was all kinds of crazy, never seen it before. The B and E strings were about 5mm lower than the others. I fixed that up to the best of my ability, the height adjustment screws in the saddles are rusty as, the B is the worst, couldn't even screw it up very much, the hole is plugged with old skin and rust :meh:

Good thing is, I have a bridge sitting around from an old bass guitar kit I built for my friend, a jazz bass bridge too.
    Would the saddles fit all good in there? If not should I get one of those new flashy Warwick bridges and install it on there?

One last question! Anyone have much experience with these pickups? The (extremely worn) label on them spells 'MEC' with a jagged line under it, opened up the back and there's a 9v battery, could this be for the pre amp or the pups?

Thinking of swapping out the electronics

2. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    The 9v powers the pre amp, which is connected to the pickups. So technically its for both. If the electronics work, I probably wouldn't switch them out. A pre amp could be another $100+

3. Turkeypills

Turkeypills

Nov 8, 2012
    St. Louis
    Maybe try removing the bridge and giving it a good squirt of WD-40 to get that rust off. I wouldn't replace the bridge. If you used a fender style bridge it will have a different footprint on the body of the bass. Not that this really matters, but you MAY find marks in the finish from the edges of the original bridge. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. If you tried to replace it with a 2 piece warwick bridge, it will also be a pricey upgrade and you will have to route the body to accommodate the bridge.

Good luck and have fun!

4. MrFoster

MrFoster

Oct 31, 2013
    @ WardEarth
    Ahhh I see, it may be indeed better to leave it all in, seems its just a start-me-up

@ Turkey
    Money isn't too much of an issue, but I also meant just the saddles, they seem like they would fit in the Warwick bridge, but I'll give the WD-40 a go first, really need to change the strings so I'll get on that when I get a new set

Also I just noticed that almost every fret has rust on it
    Must have been a display in the store I got it from :meh: