Cheap, Easy-to-Use Looper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RunngDog, Sep 16, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd like to play around with looping, but don't want to spend too much money and would like something with a minimum of complicated bells & whistles. If I really get into looping, I can always replace my first unit with something more substantial later on.

2. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    As far as I know the boss RC-20, Line 6 DL-4, ect. are the cheapest, at around $250 new, a little less used (actually though, with the upgrade to the boss, the RC-20 is gonna take a major dive in the next few months). It sucks but you could always just get some sort of recorder and just play an idea for a few minutes and if you like that you can convince yourself to get an actual looper.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I can't think of cheaper ones than the ones mentioned.
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm looking at loop pedals too and was impressed how easy to use the RC-20 is.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I recomend checking out the new Boss RC-20 that has an undo function. I think its called the RC-20XL or something. Im not sure if its out yet, but you may want to hold off your purchase for it. It wont be much more expensive, and having an undo will help a lot, especially if your new to using loopers.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used digital delays with 1-8 second max times can be found for $50-100. Not as sophisticated as something like the RC-20 but cheaper if all you want to do is get your feet wet.

I use a DigiTech RDS3600 (7.2 seconds max).
  7. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone have any experience with the new Akai Headrush E2? The E1 was about the same price as the Line 6 and RC-20, but the new E2 seems to run around $180.
  8. i can't say anything about the headrush, but i just got an RC20 (thanks lbanks!) and it is a great first looper. the prices will probably be going down thanks the the RC20XL, so you can get a cheap one soon. the rc20 is really easy. you just hit record, play your loop, hit the record button again, and there you have it! i really like the auto-start button, you press it and hit the record button, and it waits for you to start playing before it starts recording, for a perfect beginning (after about a day, you'll be making good loops) The only holdback, which is corrected in the XL, is the undo button, which isn't a necessity for me, because then i have to to play it right the first time!