Cheap EBS Octabass, but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Jun 23, 2021.

1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Hey, I'm on the journey for an octaver. Going from Mooer Tender Octaver to TC Electronics Sub n Up to Boss OC-2 and not finding the right one yet. So, I found a used EBS Octabass with a very bargain price (to me). But it have a noise. The seller send me a video about the pedal noise

What do you think about that? At the same price, I can get a used Boss OC3. Tbh I'm interested to use a poly mode on OC3, really hate the tracking on OC2. For less than that price I can get Behringer SO400. I'm looking for cheaper option cause I just need a good, just good, don't need to be great, sub octave sound for a few part of our songs. Is the noise normal on Octabass? Or should I get OC3? Or SO400 already good enough? I don't want OC2 or Valeton OC10

Goatrope likes this.
  2. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    That doesn't sound right to me.

I'm not sure what your price constraints are but I would recommend the OC-5 over the OC-3. The tracking is fantastic. I would avoid picking up cheaper alternatives, buying various stop-gap solutions, and instead buy something higher quality, if you can afford to, that satisfies your needs.

3. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah I know OC5, but it's not available yet in my country. Tbh if I'm going to spend big, I'd go for a new EBS Octabass. What cheapest option you recommend meM

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I have used a number of EBS pedals, and they have all been studio grade quiet, including my OctaBass from the 90s.

Goatrope likes this.
  5. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    So that's a bad noise?

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Did not listen. IME, pedals from EBS are very quiet.

7. DeepHz

DeepHz Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Clifton Park NY
    My experience has not been good with EBS pedals. I have had 2 pedals just die within weeks of using them and you can't get any quieter than that. The micro-bass II preamp is awesome though. I know they make good quality amps and cabs.

8. I have EBS Octabass, version 1, and it works perfectly for some 15 years or so; I never even thought about looking for a better octaver. Noisewise it is the cleanest pedal from all I have. From the video you post it seems like a tracking problem - EBS sometimes sounds like this you get when you play a note extremely unintelligibly. I think it's possible that this hum is a problem of the bass or cable. If you have a chance to try it yourself, it might be worth the try. If you can't try it, look for something else.

9. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Thanks man. I can't try it unfortunately. My options are Boss OC3, Behringer Behringe SO400, Behringer UO300, and TCE Nether.

10. Get a Source Audio Spectrum, and you're search will end!

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    That EBS is a defective pedal. DO NOT PURCHASE IT
    A boss oc-3 is a good pedal. I have used one extensively and would not hesitate to again
    Of the options you listed, get the OC-3

Goatrope and HolmeBass like this.
  12. Seller’s OctaBass is broken. I would not buy it.

13. elpancho

elpancho

Jan 23, 2020
    No good, heck, the EBS Octabass I bought shortly after blew out the switch, never buying it again.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    The seller should just get it fixed before trying to sell it.

15. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Sadly that's not available here yet
    I'll go with OC3 then. But thing is, I don't like tracking on OC2, so glitchy. How's the tracking on OC3?

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I’ve had a good experience with tracking on my OC-3 .
    My opinion is that it tracked better than an OC-2.
    It does glitch a little, but they all do, usually when you let the note ring out too long.
    The oc-3 has different modes to choose from also, including an OC-2 mode, which gives you that classic sound.
    It also has an overdrive mode and poly mode so it will track more than one note at a time

17. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve had a great experience with the EBS Octobass. Must be 8 years or older, and is dead silent. Never a noise like that, even with heavy gigging and abuse.

Keep looking.

AlexanderB likes this.
  18. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Thank you, I don't mind a little glitch. How it's handle the lower register? That's where I hate OC2 most

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have had plenty of EBS pedals, including the Octave. Never had that problem.

AlexanderB likes this.