1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by laboitenoire, Oct 16, 2006.

1. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Alright, I've been thinking of getting a fretless, as it would be something new and my dad says he feels it is a good step to take, instead of buying a better 5 string. However, I don't have money for a high quality one, so I was looking around. So far I've turned up the following basses that look promising. Could anybody comment on them?

Rogue LX200BF Fretless
    SX SPB-57TM Fretless
    SX BG-180TM Fretless
    SX SJB-62QMD
    Douglas WPB-980 Fretless

Of all of them, I like the look of the Douglas the best, and I've always wanted to try MM style pickups. Anyone reviews, experiences, or advice of other sub-$250 fretlesses are welcome.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I wouldn't waste my money on the Rogue, they're pretty much worthless. I own a Rogue acoustic/electric fretted, and it's a terrible bass.

I'd go with one of the SXs or the Douglas. I own the SX SPB-57 and its a phenomenal fretless for the price.

3. Search for the fretless in my sig. Amazing fretless for little money, if you can find it

4. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Dean edge fretless 4 is an incredible bargain at 359$.

5. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Yeah, I figured that the Rogue probably wasn't that good, but I thught I'd ask.

6. I am actually going to get the SJB-62 for my birthday...I can't wait! Then all I'll have to do is change out the pups and bridge and I'll be ready to go...

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'd probably go with this one (SX SJB-62CT) or this one (SX SJB-62MG).

Follow the instructions here (Superglue Savior), put on a new bridge (like a Gotoh 201 - same screw holes), some Dimarzio Model J's and you'll have a heck of a fretless for little scratch.

8. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    That's me mentioned in the Superglue Savior article.

I found several mistakes in the orginal issue and sent Bill Leigh an email and pointed out the errata and asked for Dan to follow up on the fretless conversion. It cracked me up when I saw that Dan mentioned my plea about finishing the job. That will probably be the only time I make the pages of Bass Player even if it wasn't with my name. FWIW

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'm going to suggest something totally different. Find a nice used bass and you'll get more for your money. I have a Peavey Foundation fretless that I got for $150 used and it is a fantastic bass. Made in the USA, great electronics, superb playability and very good sound. There are many good used basses out there that can beat what you are looking at new, and will cost about the same.

If you just HAVE to have a new bass, then ignore this post. It's your money. ;)

Whatever you get, have fun. Fretless basses are a blast! I should play mine more than I do! :bassist:

10. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    My cheap RBx250F fits the bill nicely and does a great job. I would recommend this as a great cheap bass.

11. I'm wiht Yammahammer. I bought the RBX270F, has the P neck pickup and the jazz bridge pickup. It is a little ugly, but it plays incredibly. well worth the moola.

A

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021