1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap outboard pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visti, May 11, 2010.

1. Visti

Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hey guys, I'm looking to boost my tone and perhaps even get a slight overdrive. Ideally, I would go for a Sansamp of sorts, but right now I'm looking to spend around 80-90 dollars, if that's at all possible.

So, does anyone know of any decent outboard pres in that area or am I better off saving my money?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd save up more. An EBS Valve Drive would certainly make you happy, but a new one is like $300.

3. PVTele

PVTele

Nov 7, 2005
    Dorset, UK
    Behringer BDI21. Wholehearted recommendation - don't listen to the Behringer detractors, who seem to me just like the Squier detractors were 10 years ago. (Yes, it's plastic, but tough and solid plastic nonetheless.) I've had mine over a year now, used in all kinds of live situations, never let me down, and sounds excellent, even running as a DI straight into the mixer and on out through FOH speakers and wedge monitors. If you didn't know, you'd never guess I wasn't running through a "proper" bass rig. One slight caveat - does use up 9V batteries at a fair rate, and makes a hideous noise if you forget to change one! Plug in a standard 9V supply, and stop worrying...

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The Behringer Sansamp clone is surprisingly good for hardly any money. Especially if you are just going to leave it on and not stomp it often, as the build is probably suspect.

Edit, ooh beaten to it, so a +1 to that.

5. Yup, a Behringer BDI21. +++
    My solid state rig is... bass-->BDI21-->cheap mini mixer--> cheap stereo power amp -->cabinet(s). 500W of great tube-tone power for $250, not counting cabs. My philosophy is to put the most of one's rig money into a good bass and good speakers , where the tone starts and ends. As far as speakers go, 'fEarfu'l 3015LF style are the ultimate tone per buck.

6. Visti

Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Great! That was actually the exact one I was looking at, so I'm definetly picking that up.