Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Nov 17, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    HOpefully im gonna have enough money to be getting a 410 cab and a power amp around xmas, i dont NEED a preamp, cos i can use my combo's peramp, but it would be nice to have everything i need in a rack, so, are there any preamps available in the uk under say 150 pounds?, i dont need any great features, just basic controls, i dont want to buy used.....
    Thanks

2. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    What combo do you have? Unless it's a real dog, there are a number of performance advantages to it as compared to a 4x cab.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i have a laney hcm65b. I ont mean to be an ass here, but i know what my options are, ive been thinking about this for a few months now, and i know that i want a seperate pre/power/cab set up, all i want to know is if there are cheap pre amp's about...........

4. If you are going new, the only one that I know that will work (and is within your price limitation) is the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver pedal. It supposedly has enough gain to work with a power amp. The rack version of the Behringer bass Vamp might work as well, but I've heard mixed reviews.

If you go used, there are any number of decent pres. Yamaha, Peavey, the rack version of the Sansamp, BBE etc.

Best bet is to find a reliable store that carries used stuff and work with them on it. Or watch the EBAY UK listings

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh i was thinking id mabye have to go with a pedal. i know someone who has the behringer you speak of, ill mabye see if i can get to play around with it for a while sometime.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd keep it simple. Assuming it's a good unit, I'd go with a Laney R5. Over here it would be a Gallien-Kruger 400RB/210 or 700RB/210 (the GK are likely very dear on your side of the pond). But you seem set on separates. Over here I like the Acme boxes, but I'm not too familiar with what's available over there. Some time back I heard a Fane loaded Trace box that was pretty good. The Crown K1 is the best sounding power amp I have heard - there may be a UK alternative that would be more affordable.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    ok ok, i dont need a cabnet, or a power amp, i am looking for a cheap pre-amp...

8. older Peavey preamps exist in the $100-150 range, and BBE used to make one called the 363 (I think) I've seen them around for $100. Carvin used to make one too, extremely rare, but I imagine it would be in the $100 range too.

Pedal type things would work too. Sans-amp is a good choice I hear.

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    im in ireland........

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Basically there are no cheap preamps because once you pay for the box, the knobs, the power supply, the jacks, etc. it isn't much cheaper to build than an integrated amp head.

So keep saving your money if you won't buy used.

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh its looking like im gonna be doing that, thanks guys for the help, i appreciate it, oh, how much should i be pre-pared to give for a used ampeg svp-pro in mint condition???? i believe these things go for around 550 Pounds new......

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Unless the UK market is a lot different than here in the US I'd expect to pay about 70% of the new price for a mint unit.

Why not look at UK made units? Trace, Ashdown, etc. must be cheaper your side of the pond.

13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    well, i see where you all are coming from, but im not just in the uk, im in northern ireland, havnt trace stopped making new amps? ive only ever seen one trace preamp, and i dont think ive ever seen a dedicated preamp by ashdown.... who knows, i probobly have....

Thanks for all the help so far...

14. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    There are two good solid state models out there in that price range that nobody seems to have mentioned. The Yamaha PB-1 and the Ashley, err, ummmm, BP41??? The Yammie comes up with regularity on eBay; the Ashley less so.

Both are discontinued 80's era preamps that have done well in resale, since they're really quite solid little boxes. I've owned the Yammie and was generally pleased with it.