1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheap Slap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sawboss, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Sawboss

Sawboss

Nov 15, 2005
    Any suggestions for an inexpensive bass for a budding slap bass player. One with a small nut width, like the Dean Edge for example.

Thanks.

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Define Cheap
    Less than $500, $750, $1000 ?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If you can find a 70's style jazz bass, you can't go wrong there. I love my Fender '75 reissue.

I know SX makes a reissue 70's style jazz for pretty cheap. I've never played one but they seem to be pretty popular here.

This bass is pretty cool: http://www.rondomusic.net/spjash.html
    Might have a really cool sound with the P-J setup.

4. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Peavey G bass is supposed to be the poor man's modulus flea.

5. A friend of mine has an Ibanez and has been slapping on it for more than 5 years, I don't know which model though.

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I love my new The Bass Company single M, and it has an awesome slap tone with a 2band preamp.
    Under $400 for a 4 or 5 string model.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Cheap = The Bass Company (TBC)
    Super cheap = SX.

r

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Fender MIM Jazz

9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive heard loads of people say that its more your technique than your bass.

Also EQing might help get a better tone, or some pedals.

Other than that i would say get a jazz copy.

10. klharper

klharper Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd agree its more technique - I know this because I'm faulty of thinking because I had a cheap bass, I was therefore unable to slap as well as other people could.

However, my opinion of my bass has changed as I've gotten better and still use my OLP MM2 stingray copy and other people (as well as myself) think its a great slap bass for the mere $250.

Maybe you're already great at slap, and thats awesome. I'm just saying, don't buy a bass to think you'll be better at slap than a current bass you own (not blaming! becuase by your post it doesn't really seem too much like this. just saying IF that's the case, and as a general statement to anyone).

11. GAB Power

GAB Power

Feb 8, 2006
    Hi. I've used 2 Squier P-Bass for slapping trough the years. I always felt satisfied with them. Many funk bassist use(d) P-Bass or Jazz Bass from Fender. The cheap brand of Fender is Squier wich is still good to me.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would like to echo the fellows who suggested SX and TBC
    If your budget is...

under 200$ get an SX jazz copies, better than squire for less $ ($119-$179 dollars) at www.rondomusic.com. I had one and it was a great bass for the $.

$3-400 bucks check out "The Bass Company" single humbucker models, they are well featured, visually stunning, and they seem to be well recieved around here. Even the 5 string models are less than $400. If I hadn't found my 55-01, I would have gotten one of these.

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Listen to this man!!!!!!

r

14. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Played a fotoflame Sunburst MIM Fender which was $400 out the door price. Sounded great played pretty good, looked amazing. Also, consider, I honestly believe the more difficult the playability is when you are learning, the better off your technique will be because a fine instrument will feel like amazing butter. This is only one school of thought.

15. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    A Cort Curbow off Ebay might be an option. I like the slap tone and it has a "slap contour" switch (never messed with it).
    Cheap AND light weight!!

Jon

16. i dont slap, but my friend is an amazing slap bassist (for our age, anyway). we were at GC once and he used a fender marcus miller, it might have been his technique. but damn it sounded good

17. can't go wrong with the Tribute L-2000, you can actually get a lot of different slap tones out of it in my opinion; but what do i know?

18. Fieldy called:

He said to try the Ibanez K5 Fieldy Signature Bass.

19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The other thought is... if it is tough to play or sounds bad how much are you actually going to want to play on it?