1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheapest custom bass brand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reubmister, Jun 2, 2011.

1. hi guys i have been thinking about getting a custom bass and wondering which brand does them at the best price

much appreciated

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    first act.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Carvin?

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    my first thought...

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    +1, Carvin..

6. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Wishbass

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    A used one?

Carvin may be the cheapest, especially if you assemble it yourself. But then what is your definition of a custom bass? Guys like Valenti and Atkinson do a bang up job at a really reasonable price.

I guess you have to know what you are looking for in a bass and why you want a custom bass vs a really decent bass made by any company. To have a custom just to have a custom, without saying what you want could get you an expensive case jockey.

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Kinal still seems very reasonable for what you get.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Seems like if you're serious about a custom you wouldn't be shopping for the cheapest, but the best for your wants & needs.

10. Staunch

Staunch Banned

I'd think Clement.

11. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Carvin has the best quality customs for low prices. Are they the cheapest? Can't say for sure, but they are way less expensive than similar quality instruments. Great deal.

12. Carvin is a great value, but their custom options are somewhat limited.

Depends on what you want custom and how picky you are with how well it's made.

13. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Disagree. They have a long list of "standard" custom options and will also perform anything you ask for that they can do. It's called an "option 50"

Thier woods and build quality are excellent. I have owned two Carvins and was very impressed with both. My current basses are Mike Lull, Pedulla, and Carvin, the Carvin is right there in quality and cost much less.

FWIW, Wish bass had a terrible review in Bass Player Magazine. Custom, yes. Cheap, yes. Good? I have heard no.

14. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Carvin is more of a normal retail bass but you can choose many options that are mostly cosmetic.

To me a real custom is like Warwick custom shop ( they will do what you want ... for a price ) or Clement or Fodera or Conklin.

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Talk to Karl Hoyt

Great quality, super affordable....

HOYT BASSES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sg_musical_instruments.419.1.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 If you are talking fully custom, individual luthier, then I'd certainly recommend Tom Clement. I do love Carvin basses, though, and they are very much worth consideration.

Another builder who makes basses that are competitive at a much higher price range than what he charges would be Alan Cringean, of AC Guitars. The exact bargain may depend upon the applicable exchange rate (Alan's in the UK), but he builds you a whole lotta bass for the money.

If you want a custom Fender-inspired instrument, Carey Nordstrand's Nordy basses kick all kinds of @$$ and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Tom.

17. I didn't say that quality wasn't there with Carvin, just not nearly the options of your run of the mill 100% custom shop. I wouldn't say that the options I like are necessary, but I prefer as few of limitations as possible.

18. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    I picked this up used a year ago for $300 at my local GC....

[​IMG][/IMG]

1991 LB20 Koa wings, single piece maple neck-thru, badassII, and sperzel locking tuners. (the single piece neck is stronger than most 3 pc. necks)

19. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    The problem with the original post is the word "custom" without a definition of what you mean. It's almost a troll ;)

Makers like Carvin have a few set basses with a ton of options, but you can't order 30 frets, blocks in maple boards or neck binding, for example. Tom Clement has a few set models with a ton of options, but he also has some things you can't order.

There is a big difference between 'full boat, full on, every single aspect Custom' and a very wide array of options for you to choose from to 'customize' your particular bass. Until the OP adds a bit of clarity these responses will either be helpful or not.

Also, fully custom will almost certainly mean a 'builder', like a Tom Clement, and not a 'brand' like noted in the original post.