Cheapish Sixer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I can't do a search because both "6" and "six" are too short for the search bot to recognize. Sorry.

I'd like to try my hand at playing a sixer. What's a good cheapish sixer to try out? I played an Ibanez BTB 5 string that I liked the tone of, because it was majorly versitile. I read that these are passive? I'm thinking no way, it had so much tonal range and super-hot pickups. Is it really passive?

I know about Brice, but I want something that is upgradeable if I desire to do so. Someone reccomended Dean six stringers to me, are those any good?

2. There is a BTB 6 string you might want to look at.
  3. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Where at? The one on Ebay? I saw that earlier.
  4. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am currently looking for an affordable 6 string too. I am trying to decide between:

Ibanez SR506 BM @ $600
    Dean Edge Q6 @ $550
    Dean Edge 6 @ $470

I want to get my hands on these instruments before I make a final decision. I'm sure I could get my hands on the Ibanez at GC. It might be a little more difficult to get my hands on the Dean.

The Ibanez has a 34" scale. The Dean is 35" scale.

The Ibanez has Barts. The Dean has EMG Hz.

I guess the string spacing is tight on both, but that's okay with me. I'm more into chordal playing than slap style.

The cutaway on the Dean looks like it might be a little deeper. I am currently playing a Fender P-Bass and I have trouble getting to the highest frets for chordal playing. :scowl:

I like the look of the Ibanez Brown Mahogany. I also like the look of the Quilt top on the Dean, but not as much.

I dig the Ibanez headstock. I would settle for the Dean's headstock.

I've also considered the Cort Curbow 6, but I think it looks kind of goofy. I haven't considered at Schecter, but I know that BP gave the Diamond Series C-4 an "Outstanding Construction" award and "Outstanding Tone" award in the December 2003 issue ("Bargain Bass Blitz: 25 4-strings under $800")

Hope this helps.
  5. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ibanez SR506 all the way.

Awesome bass for the price.
  6. don't forget brice...a six goes for $279 on, and they really aren't that bad of basses imo
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Decent 6's at reasonable prices:

Peavey Fury 6
    ESP B206 LTD
    Ibanez SR506
    Spector Legend 6
    Schecter Stiletto Studio 6

or search used.
  8. Definatly

BTB 406QM's are nice as :D
  9. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i tried out the sr at GC...was torn between the 505 and 506 (decided on the 5er).
    but yeh, it feels real good. and the string spacing is tight, but not impossibly so.
  10. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cort Curbow 6 :D. Get the Bartolini equipped model, if you can handle a little quirkyness (the slightly unusual materials and the tiny lower horn) then it's a great bass. Not for everyone though.
  11. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I bought the SR-506 about 5 months ago and love it. For the price, it's well worth it. It plays very well and sounds excellent. It took me a week or two to get accostomed to the string spacing and the thin neck from front to back, but it really wasn't much of a problem. I have no problems recommending it to anyone interested in it. ;)

Good luck and have fun!
  12. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've had my SR506 for about 2 years now, and I stand by it.
  14. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I have an Alvarez 6, but I don't think they make them anymore. I'll sell it to you, though. PM or Email me if you're interested and I'll send you some pictures.
  15. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Bass Palace has an older Peavey TL6. I think there is one on ebay as well. Good basses for the dough!
  16. Warwick Corvette 6! Lots around for c$800, a serious upgrade from an Ibanez.
  17. Go to your local sam ash music store. sit down and try out a carlo robelli six string bass. i was really supprised, and i actually bought one on the spot. Active pickups, slim neck (for a six) played like a dream. check it out for sure.
  18. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Here's an overview of some basses mentioned here and their ballpark prices:

1. Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 @ 700
    2. Ibanez BTB406 QM @ 670
    3. Spector Legend 6 @ 650
    4. Ibanez SR506 @ 600
    5. Dean Edge Q6 @ 550
    6. Cort Curbow 6 @ 516
    7. Dean Edge 6 @ 470
    8. Peavy Grind 6 @ 450

I was considering a Dean Q6 or the Ibanez SR506, but this gives me a little more to think about. Is anyone willing to add the scale length and string spacing to these? Also, how about active/passive pickup info?

19. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I may spring for a used BTB sixer. It'll exhaust my budget at the moment, but I just try to think to myself that I'm not going to be doing anything else with the money.

Still kind of on the fence though. I'll probably head back down to the local guitar place to play the BTB 5 string they have and give it a workout before I plunged into anything.
  20. If you want a passive Samick 6 string neck thru, I'll sell you mine (string spacing is tight now that I'm used to the wide) and a 34" scale. Electronics aren't the greatest in the world (the originals were replaced, and I like the control of an active much better). Send me a pm if you'd like - I'm getting ready to put it on Ebay - it's a REALLY nice kick around thing. If you like it, you might want to upgrade the electronics.