1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my new free strobe tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Handyman, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hi Everyone!
    I've been wasting most of my free time for the past writing a virtual strobe tuner program. I've gotten it to the point where it seems to work pretty well, even if the interface is a little on the ugly side.

Its called LS Tune, and it works on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. I've posted a (hopefully) easy to use installer for Windows, and hope to have something similar ready for Mac soon. You Linux folks will probably have to build it from the sources.

I've licensed it under the GPL, which means its free, and the source code is available and freely re-distributable. Feel free to help me improve it. :)

You can get the files from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lstune/files/

Anyway, let me know if anyone has any question/comments/suggestions. I'm sure there are going to be some issues with it.

Here's the mandatory screen shot.

Attached Files:

2. Hi.

Thanks, I have to look into it.

Regards
    Sam

3. Seems to work OK, but I have no idea what it means. How about a crash course?:confused:

4. Nice.

Port that to a smartphone/mobile device and you're rolling.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ya, I need to type up some instructions. :)

The little box at the bottom with the note in it shows you which note the tuner thinks you're attepting to tune to. If the display at the top is moving to the left, you're flat. If its moving to the right, you're sharp. You're perfectly in tune if you can get it to stop moving.

The display is a bit overly sensitive right now, I think. I'm going to slow that down a bit in a future revision.

6. Too true, the number of times I need to give one of my guitarists a shot of a tuner. They always forget to bring one, tho they always have an iPhone/iTouch on hand.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Works like a champ!

Thanks

8. Thanks - gonna try it out . . .

9. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    Huh----This sounds cool, I will give it a shot, time permitting,

10. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    Cool, I was just looking at strobe tuner software & this is my favorite price :)

11. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm glad you guys are liking this. I've release version 0.3, which can be found at the same link I posted above. The user interface is cleaned up, and most importantly, I've added an icon of a tuna fish to the program.

I figured the most important new feature this needed as a bad pun in the form of an icon. :)

12. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I dig it. It works, and doesn't seem to have any obvious problems. Nice job, and thanks for the effort!

13. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've uploaded the Mac version, so folks with Macs can join in the fun, too.

I've updated the UI a bit, so it should look a bit nicer now.

Attached Files:

14. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    hey! nice job, it works fine!
    thanks for sharing.
    my Turbo tuner's display is a little easier to read, but your prog works great, too.
    not to mention that it's a lot cheaper! :)

15. I can't get it to work on my MacBook.

16. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well that's no good. Does your MacBook have an Intel or PowerPC processor in it? I really have no idea if the app I built will work with PPC macs.

Or it could be something else entirely. Any hint as to what's not working right?

17. It has an Intel processor. The program doesn't do anything. It doesn't recognize either input, "Preferences" is greyed out, so you can't choose it from the menu, there is nothing in the strobe box (it's just a black box), and nothing happens.

18. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I'm not sure if it helps, but I had to set the noise gate to 0, until this I had no signal either.
    after that it worked fine.

for the developer: what sets the tuner's accuracy?
    the sound card's internal clock?
    I can't really make the display stop, is that because of the sampling frequency (time quantization? what's the word for that?) of the card?

19. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I have an old IMac with OSX 10.3 and this won't open at all. Message states "may be damaged or incomplete". ????

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bitchen. Also, when I plugged in my mic, the computer got me set up on voice recognition, so now I just say, "open lestoon", and it opens the program. Now it types whatever I say. Very bizarre.