1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chinese 5-string

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Dave Roberts, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
  2. I'd pass at that price. For the cost of shipping I'd give it a try. Body looks shallow for the tension of 5 strings. Pre looks like garbage.

3. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks, Carl, for your comments. Here’s another that interests me more. It's made by Yinfente -- does anyone know anything about that manufacturer? 3/4 new 5 string Electric Upright Double Bass Finish silent Powerful Sound 0012 2#-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Update: I just watched a couple reviews of a Yinfente electric cello, which showed a lot of problems with the design. So I'm not going to take a chance on their UEB. The Chinese might not yet be ready for prime time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. I haven't seen a Chinese EUB that was Developer with a DB Player in mind. They almost always miss DB Design criteria which arme important for the DB Player like D or Eb neck, bowing, a top that vibrates (for easier start of vibration for bowing) and could take the pressure from common DB strings.
    Electronics are often noisy and in many cases they neglect the necessities of a high impedance preamp following the piezo pickup.
    Better instruments might be produced in China, but then the design is often not made there.
    Setup is often not well made (if at all), so there is still some work to be done to make the instrument playable at all and that might cost at least half the price of a Chinese instrument.
    So be careful if you order such a kind of instrument.

5. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I would stay away from anything made in china you get what you don't pay for LOL

6. Not all of it is trash - a LOT of it, but not all.

Some of it is cheap but with good bones. For EUB I haven't seen anything worth full retail - especially anything 5 string.

7. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    I decided not to take a chance on an unknown Chinese model. I just bought an NS Design NXT5 B-stock unit I found on Reverb. It's got a few blemishes, but it's brand new and I saved at least $700 over retail. NS Design NXT5-VN-SB 5-String Electric Violin

basspraiser likes this.
  8. Why didn't you say your were looking for a violin to begin with?

basspraiser likes this.
  9. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    It's a bass. For some reason the link says "violin."

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Did you buy the violin? I'm that case...I think you may be disappointed when it gets there.

I have an NS and love it...

11. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

Not by the picture... That's a violin

12. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    You’re right. Looks like they deleted the bass listing since my earlier posting. But I might be interested in an electric violin sometime in the future.

13. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Enjoy the NS... Like I said... Love mine