Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chinese Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Having played several laminated basses imported by Howard Core, or as he spells it "Kohr" on the label. I've purchases two of these, which i've mentioned and kind of reviewed on another thread.
    Can anyone tell me about the strings that they come with? From pics i've seen of Christophers, the thread colors indicate that they might come with these strings as well. I know you can order the better carved models of these basses with your choice of strings, but i'm talking about the laminates.
    And John, what about Shens? Do the less expensive models come with strings made in China?
    My question, I guess is, is anyone besides me really impressed with these strings? I think they're one of the best all-around arco/pizz strings i've ever played on. I guess it's a little early to tell whether they're going to hold up for any length of time.
    Does anybody know what the hell i'm talking about here?

2. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have not played any Chinese bass strings, but I have had a chance to play Cello, Viola, and Violin strings and I have been over all very impressed esp. for the money. I would LOVE to find a cheap Chinese bass string to offer customers who do not want to spend as much money. Some bass players (believe it or not) tend to be cheap. If you find out let us know. Good post!

Matt

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The strings I've seen that come on Chinese basses are... well, they don't sound very good. As my nephew trades up instruments to the next size the first thing we do is put on a set of Helicore Orchestras.

4. The stock strings that came on my Christopher were not bad at all (and I'm assuming that they were Chinese strings, though Christopher does set basses up with Helicores if you ask). They certainly sounded good enough for me to enjoy the bass enough to make me want to buy it! They were a bit bright for my taste, but they bowed well.

In fact, I might have left them on for a while with no complaints if I hadn't brought a set of Obligatos along for the luthier to install.

5. If any of you guys hate the Chinese strings that came with your Chinese bass......Send them to me!