Chip out repair, DIY worthy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Aragorn35016, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    So I was cleaning my NS Cleveland ply last night and noticed this chip out in the edge, the bass has been well loved and been who knows where through the years before I got it, but I’ve been fortunate to not mess it up two much, as this kind of stuff shoots firecrackers through my ocd when I cause this kind of stuff. So I have no idea how this happened as I baby the bass, I never move it anywhere without a bag or lay it on its side without carpet being underneath it. I’m wondering, since it’s a laminate, can I buy some wood filler to fill the chip cavity that somewhat matches the color or is this luthier trip worthy?

Thanks

John

50538840-E6B7-4189-89D0-B935D226C48C.jpeg CDC24747-26C6-477F-B126-7E25F0C93496.jpeg

2. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I'd prolly just smooth and darken it up. Maybe seal it.

IMO a luthier is costly overkill - but only you know how much it bugs you.

I'd fear a poorly done repair w/ wood filler would look worse than the damage.

Aragorn35016 likes this.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’d just wait until I had other work that needed a luthier’s attention and ask them to touch it up then. It’s not hurting anything to ignore it for now.

Aragorn35016 likes this.
  4. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I was worried leaving raw wood exposed like that might not be good, thanks for letting me know this won’t be an issue!

Lo-E likes this.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I had a gouge out of the edge of my LaScala near the place where the edge is worn away from my right arm sitting there when I play. I was worried about catching in on clothing and tearing out more wood before I could have it looked at. Somebody told me to cover that spot with electric tape until I could have it looked at, so I did. The guys at the Bass Cellar didn't say anything about it, just pulled it off, wiped off any residual sticky stuff, and got about the edge repair.

Aragorn35016 likes this.
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The entire inside of the instrument is raw wood. Leaving that little spot exposed won’t hurt a thing.

Aragorn35016 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022