1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choose a 4x10 with me please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr.zero, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Hi there bass people, a lurker for around a year and a first time poster here!

I would like to discuss the options I have for a 4x10 cab for two reasons: a) to get some insight on what cab to choose and b) to pass the time while I wait for 'my cab' to appear on the used market.

So, here's what I am looking at.

I am in the middle of upgrading my gear. My last rig was Ashdown MAG stuff with a ported 4x10 cab and an MAG amp + BDDI. I was not very happy with the setup and was really hoping for something more punchy and tight especially when played with a pick. I then had an opportunity to play with a friend's SVT-410HE + BDDI and a power amp and you guessed it - fell in love with the tone.

So, I am now looking for a cab (please don't focus on the amp business for now, going to use my Sansamp + a power amp for the time being).

Allright, I know that by now, someone is thinking about replying with 'buy an Ampeg, then' - Trust me, I would! The thing is, where I am from (Finland), there is not that much Ampeg stuff lying around in the used market (that is, it either gets sold very fast or people are hanging onto their old USA made ones *very* tight).

So, I have decided to wait around for an SVT-410HE, or a cab of similiar type to appear on the used market and then make my move. These are the cabs I am thinking of at the moment:

Ampeg SVT-410 HE
    EBS Classic Line 410
    Orange OBC410
    Ashdown ABM 410H

How do you feel these compare? For what I know, they are all sealed cabs and should deliver a punchy tone, am I right? It is to be noted, that for where I live, I can't really go into a store to try these - so it's essentially a "never try before you buy" sort of deal. And yeah, vintage-ish looks are a huge + here. :)

Any advice or just plain banter to get the GAS flowing is very appreciated. :)

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Get the Ampeg (8 Ohm ) 410HE, you can also add the Ampeg 15" cab (8 Ohms) if you want to . If What ever head you have runs 4 ohms then you should be ok.

3. another +1 to the ampeg, you wont regret the wait or cost if you have to shell out a little more.

The best 410 I've ever played though.

4. the markbass classic 410 is also sealed and may be an option on the used market even though they have stopped making them.

5. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

As a "lurker," you must have seen a few threads about combining different sized drivers, and the 4x10s inherent problems, being 2 drivers wide and 2 drivers tall... So I'll dispense with that discussion for the sake of expediency.

I'm also assuming you've already made up your mind which cabinet you *really* want... That being the Ampeg SVT 410HE... A fine cabinet to be sure, and worth waiting for. It's origin, as you may have surmised, is from the very successful and desirable Ampeg SVT 810 cabinet.

Like you, I too prefer the punch of sealed cabinets to ported. Though I prefer 15s. That said, I am building a pair of 2x12 cabinets for myself.

It is from my recent experience with vintage Sunn 4x12 PA columns (used for both bass and guitar), and subsequently, the same columns cut down to 2x12 size (sacrilege, I know!!! But they weren't mine at the time), that I suggest you consider trying a pair of 2x12 or 2x10 cabinets.

With two 2x12 (or 2x10) 8 ohm cabinets, for example, you should be able to handle anything a 4x10 can, with slightly easier hauling, and the option to use just one cab. Plus, "inline" drivers deliver more punch and clarity, and some even say better dispersion of the higher frequencies... From my own experience, I can attest to the punch and clarity being better than that of a typical 410.

I began my bass career with the SVT 810 cab... Then to 2 ported 18 cabs (based upon TL designs), then a sealed SVT410HE, then a vintage, sealed Fender Showman 2x15 cab, and was the most satisfied with the sealed '66 Fender Showman 2x15 cab...

Sadly, I was told (and I believed) I needed "real" bass cabinets, and sold the Fender for 2 Ampeg SVT 210 (ported) cabinets, which I hated. At that point, I built 4 Electro-Voice TL cabinets for myself (2x15, 2x12, 1x15, 1x12 - all ported). These cabs have been wonderful, to be sure! But I still prefer the punch and clarity of sealed cabs. That's why I'm building a set for me, and recommending the same for you. Food for thought, anyway.

6. Thanks for the input, Ampeg love in the posts does not come as a surprise, this being TalkBass after all. :)

Some clarifications: As I have a preamp that I am somewhat satisfied with, I'm primarily looking for a good cab and just pick up a power amp accordingly when I have found the cab. And for me *really* wanting an Ampeg...well that's true, but I foremost want a good sounding and punchy sealed cab that comes with vintage-ish rock looks. Ampeg surely deliveres that, but how about the rest of the canditates?

In any case, I enjoy discussing my cab situation since I am in a wonderfull state of having the cash ready, friend loaning his rig for upcoming gig, and missus approving...so I'm just waiting for a cab to come by...patiently... :)

7. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    I'm in the same boat as you, used market is not so great here in finland. have been lookibg at EBS classics, warwick pro and lately ampeg cabs.Eden is just out of my price range I'm afraid.

heres the tone I'm after:

ampeg seems like a safe bet, but is only the heritege series made in the states?

8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well have you thought of the Carvin BX4.10 neo cab...it has much more bottom tone and pressence than most other cabs....just a thought.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    very wise. be patient, and i'm sure you will find what you're looking for.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've played the EBS Classic at several NAMM Shows, and while that is not the best environment to audition gear, I was fairly impressed. Presuming that you'd be able to try before you buy, I would definitely keep that one on your audition list.

I own an Orange OBC410, and that is a nice 4x10, for sure. It basically does what you would expect, and is a fairly articulate, but still warmish, sounding cab.

If you are considering Ampeg, in addition the HE, you might want to keep your eyes open for the new Pro Neo 410. Yes, it's expensive, but it is also one of the better neo 4x10's on the market, IMHO. Let me also throw out that I am totally in love with my '75-ish B-40! :bassist::bassist: :bassist: :cool:

Tom.

11. fishman35

fishman35

Oct 3, 2005
    The biggest issue I have ran into with cab shopping is finding ceratin brands in my town. For example, no one here carries Aguilar or Avatar. Only one Mesa Boogie dealer. I have an SVT 8x10, but am looking to scale down. I did play through a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 that local dealer had using my 78 Bassman 100 and it sounded incredible. I was the 8 ohm version, and my head is 4 ohm out. But if I decide to stack 2 8 ohm cabs, then 4 it will be. I also tried the GK 4x10 RBX and was not as impressed. I know there are different schools of thought on speaker mixing, like a 4x10 on top of a 1x15, etc. I am not sure which direction I want to go. I thought about posting an ad for Craigslist asking for local folks who have certain cabs to let me plug in my head and test for a fee. That is the only way I guess I can truly find out.

Having an old school, lower wattage tube amp is awesome, but brings some unique challenges. Finding the perfect cab will take some time. :crying:

12. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    I'd look at the new DNA (David Nordschow, original Eden designer and engineer) cabs. I have the DNA 4x10 4ohm, and it's a monster - very transparent, true crossover (lots of others have simple high-pass filters), and 1400 watts RMS, 2800 peak. I posted a review a while back here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705710&highlight=

I've since been gigging with it a lot and pushing it with a Crown XLS-1500 bridged, so it's running at 1,550 watts. It makes my guitarist throw his hands up and curse, and it really brings the thunder. If you're shopping for a high end 4x10, check 'em out.

http://dnaamps.com/products/cabinets/

Peace!!

13. I like the SWR Goliath... Not on your list, but I'd try it out if I were you.

14. I feel you Fishman - there's not a single music store that has a good variation of bass gear for hundreds of kilometers from where I live at. I would love to go to a store with all the cabs from my list (and the other ones some have recomended here - thanks for those) and just spend an afternoon trying them all out, but that's not going to happen.

On that background, the Ampeg is really the only one I have had the chance of trying out. Just got to listen to a few live clips from a gig a week ago where I used my friend's Ampeg cab and it sounded gooood. :)

And the new Ashdown stuff for year 2011 *looks* awesome. ;)

15. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ

Sound of a 4x10, weight of a 2x10.

Love mine to bits.

16. SWR Goliath

17. Shappo

Shappo

Apr 28, 2010
    Bergantino AE410 :)

18. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have an Ampeg SVT 410he and an SWR Goliath 410. Two very different sounds. The Ampeg is very tight and punchy -- and very pleasing to me by itself with a high power amp. The ported SWR is boomy by itself and not as pleasing. But together they really sound great! Chain the 2 8 ohm cabs for 4 ohms and I get a wall of bass that shakes your booty AND punches you in the chest.

I just happened on this combination, but I like it. And it's modular. I can take one or both cabs depending on the needs of the gig. I still would like to scale down to a 4x10 and a 1x15 or additional 2x10 rather than haul 2 4x10 cabs. If I were to scale back to just one cab it would be the Ampeg HE.

19. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    If it is one cab and one cab only you want to use, try to look for an Ampeg 410HLF. Punchy, sealed, and 4 Ohm. I use a 610HLF on one of my setups and there are times I wish I had a smaller cab. I too at one time had an Ashdown MAG setup, using 2x10 and 1x15, and I agree on the lack of punch. I think the phasing had a little to do with that, but the Ampeg stuff is tighter for sure.

20. Can you get any of the new Traynor products? They just released a new "NEO4x10" that has great sound, is built like a tank and has a two year anything warranty!!