Choosing a Reasonably Priced Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbamta, Oct 11, 2011.

Choosing a Reasonably Priced Fretless Bass

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Fender Jazz MIM Fretless

67 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. KSD Proto JZ Noir Fretless

26 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. dbamta

dbamta Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Maryland
    I am considering purchasing my first fretless bass and I am looking for a reasonably priced fretless such as the MIM Fender Jazz and/or KSD Proto JZ Noir. I would llike to stay in under $1000 range. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome

2. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    For sub 1k.. You should be able to pick up a really nice used bass. MIA fender, and quite a lot more..

If those were the only 2 choices... I'd opt for the Smith though.

3. You'd probably get better QC going with the KSD

4. I would definitely keep my eye on the classifieds. More bass for your buck so to speak.

5. I'm only partial to the KSD because I got a hold of one of the good ones and it has a fatter neck than most jazz basses...

6. yesbassist

yesbassist

Jul 3, 2009
    may I suggest borrowing a fretless bass or perhaps buying the newer squier fretless model before dumping almost 1k into one... I happen to get a good deal on my first one and fell in love with it but took some time to get use to....have many friends that played bass for years and absolutely hate fretless... just hate to see some one dump a fortune into one and hate it

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I agree with yesbassist. Fretless is a serious time comittment initially & then keeping
    it up. Tough resale also, I've had one for sale for 2 yeras.

8. Rob Tollefs1

Rob Tollefs1

Oct 9, 2011
    Toronto ON
    I have a MIM fretless. I find it to be very heavy. I also do not like the neck, but I have odd preferences in that respect. I find the neck is too thin. If you like the Geddy Bass you will love the Fretless. My advice is that no matter what bass you buy, put Tomastic-Infeld Jazz flats. You will never need another set of stings, and it will make playing a joy. They actually sound better after about 6 months. Mine are currently 5 years old and I plan on getting another 30 years out of them.

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    you can find a sweet used Lakland 44-02 fretless for that money...more tone options and mwah than the MIM Fender.....just food for thought....

10. Fender appears to be the silent majority with an even 2/3 voting without comment in favor of Fender. I have 2 MIM fretless jazz I bought pre loved with mods I approve of and love them dearly. Bought both for right @ $1000. It took patience to find each, but very happy with them. (one passive with SCN pickups, one active with John East Retro J and Di Marzio Js. Baddasses on both.)

11. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Have you looked into the Lakland Skylines? A 44-01 is super affordable and a used 44-02 can be had for your budget. Can not beat their necks...thick slab of ebony and the profile/radius is super comfy.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I had a MIM Jazz fretless. There were zero issues with it and it ended up in regular rotation at the local pro studio. Nice finish, excellent setup, great sound. Alas, I'm a Precision guy so it had to move.

Although my current fretless is an unlined Godin A5 (it has markers inlaid into the edge of the fingerboard) I really appreciated the lines on the Jazz. It was very easy to play in tune.

And for the guys telling you that quality is hit or miss in MIM Fenders, unless they give specifics they are most likely repeating something they've heard. I have owned three MIM basses so far, and each one has been a gem. The only one I traded was the Jazz, and the new owner has been delighted with it.

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There are lots of used options. I got a used Peavey Foundation fretless that I love for $125.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I concur with those recommending a used 44-02.

15. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Used MIM. I've had one. It works very well. Lined rosewood doesn't wear too much. Because they are not desired, you can pick them up relatively cheap. Expect to pay 2-400 for one.

16. mizzig

mizzig

Oct 18, 2011
    New York
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021