1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus and flanger, then what?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denis F C, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

1. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    Hi,

I did buy a chorus, then a flanger (from ehx) and now i hesitate between a reverb, a freeze (ehx) and... a tuner in pedal form.

If i can add, i love the sound that the chorus and the flanger give togheter, i wonder if a reverb will not make a muddy unusable sound?

help?

Smooth_bass88 and Nunovsky like this.
  2. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

I got a Source Audio Collider a few weeks back- combination delay/reverb.

Plan on using it on my pedal board but do not find much use for reverb on bass- at least in the styles I currently play. Will be using it for creative tune writing, recording and also be using on guitar(its real focus) and keys.

Reverb on bass (to me) seems best on solos, intros and transitions and not to be used as an always-on effect.

Definitely a tuner pedal is borderline required if a clip-on or rackmount is not desired.

Boost/distortion/fuzz pedals are very useful in most genres. Would also consider a filter pedal(if that is even remotely your thing).
    Compressors are an entire other world to explore. Also a dedicated delay has a place for bass in many styles.

Good luck!

Outtaseezun likes this.
  3. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    I have an interest in all thoses things, but I want to focus mainly on some effects. I, for now, have no interest in a dirt effect.

my style is quite melodic (I work solo currently), and I plan to write lyrics to accompany.

4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    If you plan on setting foot on stage, a tuner should be next. Maybe a preamp/di as well. I joke that a tuner is even more important than the bass itself, because an out-of-tune bass just shouldn’t be played to begin with.

5. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    Don’t worry, I have a tuner, but a pedal tuner would be usefull.

6. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Well in that case a I think the freeze would be a good option for what you are wanting to do.

herndonbassist, neuman and Denis F C like this.
  7. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    Then it will be, afterward maybe a reverb or a delay. But I would like to build an hybrid pedalboard. By that I mean a pedalboard that will sound as good on bass than on guitar. I think its achievable if I don’t want any dirts.

8. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    I have two questions regarding reverb and the freeze:

- I use a neo clone and a neo mistress togheter, thats my everyday sound. What will happen if I add a reverb to that?

- Regarding the freeze, if I use the previous question effect setup, how will it sound? And I put the freeze at the start or the end of the chain?

9. Delay is more usable with a band than reverb I find. Modulated reverb can be neat, but I think I prefer modulation into delay instead. I love effects and I'm in a fairly adventurous original band, but I still find only very limited real-world use for reverb or delay. A tuner is much more practical. Really though, if something makes you play in a way that you otherwise wouldn't, it's worth considering. I use my reverbs and delays all the time at home for writing/relaxation. It's just as valid as real world practicality.

10. I prefer reverb to delay... and at that I prefer reverb that does “something” ie shimmer or modulated etc.. the oceans 11 reverb is awesome for that in there are so many options including a reverb with chorus /flanger combined as an option... there are no presets per se but it remembers the settings for each “type” of the 11, so if you have them dialled in right you can just switch back and forth between the types.

11. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    Thanks to both of you, so if I go solo I can get a reverb? The delay will follow someday.

12. Tuner is most practical. I like delay better than reverb most of the time but lately I’ve been running the Dispatch Master to get both.

HolmeBass likes this.
  13. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Any pedal works with any instrument - it just depends on what you want. Reverb and delay work with bass, especially in the solo context. In a band setting, it gets real muddy real quick. But you're not doing that, so have fun!

I've never played a Freeze, but they look super cool, and would be a great tool for solo bass. Probably more of a game changer than reverb / delay.

14. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Also, you should consider a looper pedal. The Ditto is super straightforward, small, and relatively cheap

15. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
  16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The Plus pedal doesn't have an auto mode like the EH Superegos (regular and plus). The time it takes to push the heavy piano action pedal down to make the sample, your tone/volume has changed, whereas the SE instantly samples anything with enough attack (sensitivity adjustable). It's the difference between having cross country skis on and sinking in the 3 foot of snow.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Fair enough, thank you for the information. Not having played either, it sounds like they're just designed to do different things. Each would likely lend itself more easily to slightly different ways of playing. If you want the auto mode, EH Superego would certainly be better.

18. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Do you record and what effects do you use for recording? I like reverb on bass, on a recording, but live it can sound cheesy pretty easily.

19. Denis F C

Denis F C

Jun 15, 2018
    ok woaw a lot of things to check out!

I did tried a ditto some years ago, but i didnt like it. I prefer the way the freeze work, sure its basic compared to a looper, but i dont need more than that.

I currently dont record as i dont have the equipment for. But in the futur i'll mic my amp to record. Its a small hartke hd15 with neo clone and neo mistress. (bass is a jackson js2 in drop c that i really love, especially for the price)

20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb kind of blurs the line between reverb and delay, it has some gorgeous settings, "Cathedral" is about how it sounds. A fretless through this sounds pretty amazing.