Chris Kirkwood shot outside post office

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keylock71, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Heard about this last night. Here's the link:

Kirkwood shot

Pretty sad what's happened to old Chris over the years what with the heroin problems, his wife dying last year, and his other legal woes.

It amazes me that folks still get themselves caught up in the whole heroin scene. What a dead end that is.

Chris was one of my biggest influences as a bassist. I hope he gets straightened out and gets back to making some great music with his brother again.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have an old vinyl EP that has "Dolphin Field" and a few others on it. It is WILD to say the least.
    I liked that version of the Meat Puppets. The FM stuff, not so much. I hope he gets better though.
  3. My favorite album by the Pups is "Up on the Sun" without a doubt. That's one of the records that made me want to play bass as a youngster.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    took me a while to 'get' the Meat Puppets, but when I did, wow! Very interesting stuff.
    Hope Chris gets things together, he's going through some rough stuff.
  5. The meat puppets rule. Too bad heroin and drugs in general make you do some stupid things.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :( Drugs are Bad, MMkay :(
  8. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sad news indeed.

The Meat Puppets has been one of my favorites for the past 16 years.

Sad thing that Cris got on the heroin wagon and sad way to die for a young man.

Guess I'll have to play some more Puppets CD's.

"Backwards to the sunset on a horse without a brain..."
  9. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland

Should have read more carefully. 21 months in prison is a bit different from getting killed.

Anyway, I hope he recovers. In many ways.
  10. Getting shot in the "back" as the article states, sounds more like retaliation than self defense. Im suprised he and the security guard didnt end up being cell mates. I recently lost a friend and fellow bassist, Scott Williams, in New Orleans. He was shot and killed....and everyone wonders why Ive walked away from my heavy metal days. Couldve been me. :scowl: