1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christian McBride/NPR

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by powerbass, Jun 14, 2012.

1. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks for that. This guy always makes me smile. He's such a happy player. Arvell Shaw was like that :)

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm having trouble watching the video with my crappy DSL, but I was sitting in that studio when they filmed this. It was a good day!

3. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    If you do get it in on your DSL, it is excellent--sound and sight (sorry PW) :bag:
    Noobies can learn a lot just watching his hands, and the lines he plays are repetitive enough so that they will get a chance to really see the fingerings.

4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Very cool!

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That was a really cool day. I had been on jury duty for about a week and a half and we just finished at about 11am. I called my wife (who works at that station) and she said "Can you make it down here in 1/2 an hour, McBride is in studio?" I took a taxi (which I never do) and walked in right before they closed the door. Amazing sitting there hearing him play. Sound, soul, musicality and joy. Very friendly afterward.

Now the geeky part. That's a Chadwick folding bass, when he was done, he broke the neck down folded it into the back and put it into a little trunk. Amazing. Said he doesn't like it as much as his regular bass, but much better than the risk of whatever is waiting for him a tthe gig.

6. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    That must have been amazing. What a gig!

Did you see what strings was he using with the fold up bass?

7. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Chadwick folding bass,

That explains it; I was wondering what it was.
    The weird notch at the back part of where the neck meets the body made me think it was one of those Tyrolean wonders. But then I could see that it was new and shiny.
    I love his playing, but I didn't like the twanging tone he was getting, although that could be explained by new or light strings.
    I've got to see one of those folding axes up close.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    "New Formula" Helicore Hybrids. Actually, I feel like he sounded amazing in person, it may not have come through on the recording. I told him I thought so and he said "yeah, it's okay. It's working pretty well for me this week"

I was thinking back to the "Would you loan your bass" thread, because I offered him mine for his shows on the spot. He appreciated it, but declined, but I gave him my card and said that if the backline or anything wasn't right that what was mine was his. I can't imagine not doing so with someone like that or even someone like many of you.

He was very cool. I'm lucky that I get to do a lot of those things at that station (nepotism) and most of those guys are way cooler than they might be, occasionally someone isn't. He definitely was.

Sitting there and hearing him play from 6 feet away in a room with 4 or 5 other people was an amazing experience. I came home and practiced like a fiend.

9. Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Mr. McBride is one of my favorite players around today.

10. He came to the Virgin Islands a long time ago (back in 2000-01 I think) and his performance here floored me in so many ways (It was also the first time I saw and heard a fretless bass in person; mesmerising is the only word I could use to describe it)...this is the man that inspired (and inspires) me to push my playing to and beyond the limits and made this small-town kid think (at the age of 15-16) that a career in music is possible if you work hard enough at it.

That was a great clip! Thanks for posting that.

11. Great video and great tune! Thanks for sharing!

12. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Jsn likes this.
  13. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks for the link.

FYI:

I subscribe-- for several years now--to

www.jazzonthetube.com -- a free link.

I get a different jazz video sent every day. I literally have

hundreds of them in my inbox and jazz file that I've yet to open.